General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Snowmobile to ATV

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snowmobile to ATV

I want to convert a snowmobile into an ATV. Is this possible? If so, how would I switch the belt drive from the clutch and cvt to a chain drive to an axle? Also, I want to be able to run it year round and ride it like a quad, how could I keep it cooled to stay running? And last, what make/model sled should I try? I would like to use the sled chassis and replace the track assembly with an atv style rear-end system. I want to use the sled chassis simply because I would already have all the wiring done, and everything ready to go besides the rear end, the wheels, and switching the belt drive to chain drive somewhere within the chassis.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Thats is the harder way around,A few have put high powered sled motors in ATV though.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ya, i figured it might be a little harder, but would pay off in the long run and look alot cooler. What are your thoughts on the cooling issue?

Old 09-30-2010, 11:22 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

You would just have to use a Rad and Fan from a ATV. I know the Polaris Scrambler rad and fan keeps the motor of a XC700 cool enough. Here,s a look at it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR2Id...eature=related

Old 09-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, thanks, cause i read some other threads on other pages that a rad wouldnt keep it cool enough because it used little coolant flow since they were meant to run in cold weather conditions.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:27 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

There,s another guy on this site that also put a 680 triple in a Scrambler. http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...project-2.html

Old 09-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah that would be me . The cooling is of no issues, the sled motors work harder in the snow then they do in a quad, just watch the clow speed running, be sure to always have the fan on in slow speed running as thats were the issues will arise, to date i have had zero issues with over heating. Find an older polaris 250 trail blazer for dirt cheap (for the CVT, read through link for more info, post up if you have any questions) and swap everything you have into that, be warned as there will be a fair bit of fabrication, nothing complicated but you will need a welder, chop saaw and related tools in order to do this properly, aside from that its easier than it look, just have patience and it'll come together.

Trending Topics

Old 10-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks, i dont plan on running it slow, except to cross roads, stuff like that. So cooling is no issue? all i need is a fan? what about a radiator? also, would you email pictures of yours? i want to see what the finished product looks like. The biggest thing was, i wanted something fast, and i figured a sled motor with the cvt would be alot nicer than a quad motor and trans, and alot faster as well.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:02 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Its going to need a Ran and the fan. The fan kicks on by a simple themal switch that screws into the rad and its leads goes just a head of your fans 12v power source. So the fan will come on when needed even on slow riding. If you want you can just directly jump to the fan and by pass the rad switch leads and the fan will just stay on all the time.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, that sounds good, i might as well just bypass the thermal switch and hard wire it into the electronics so it always runs, its not like its really going to hurt anything to have it running constant. What kind of fan and rad do i need?

Quick Reply: Snowmobile to ATV