General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

how young for a passenger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how young for a passenger?

I did a search first, surprised I couldnt find a thread about this. Anybody bring toddlers along, maybe on the back with a cargo box type seat? I'm putting one of the cargo boxes with a seat and backrest on my Sportsman, and I was wondering about bringing the little one along. He's going on two, and is big for his age, but I know he couldnt support a helmet, so a bicycle helmet would have to do. I am not sure about how well he'd be able to hold on, and adding seatbelts might be a bad idea since a rollover would trap him there.. What about a carseat?
Just tossing the idea around, I know it's probably not a great idea; it would certainly be only east riding. I have putted around the front lawn with him sitting in front of me and he absolutely loves it. If there were a safe and comfortable way to do it I'd like to bring the little bugger along.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Would not normally support this type of topic but will say you can do anything with a welder/wood and a CAR SEAT!

Old 10-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Northstar2
I did a search first, surprised I couldnt find a thread about this. Anybody bring toddlers along, maybe on the back with a cargo box type seat? I'm putting one of the cargo boxes with a seat and backrest on my Sportsman, and I was wondering about bringing the little one along. He's going on two, and is big for his age, but I know he couldnt support a helmet, so a bicycle helmet would have to do. I am not sure about how well he'd be able to hold on, and adding seatbelts might be a bad idea since a rollover would trap him there.. What about a carseat?
Just tossing the idea around, I know it's probably not a great idea; it would certainly be only east riding. I have putted around the front lawn with him sitting in front of me and he absolutely loves it. If there were a safe and comfortable way to do it I'd like to bring the little bugger along.
I would never take a toddler or any child requiring a car seat on any type of Quad/ATV or UTV they are just to fragile to take the pounding. I believe most states would classify it as child abuse. Besides that here in California it's illegal.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I also don't think I would bring a child that age with me. It just seems to unsafe to risk it. If the child is older and knows to and is able to hold on I think that would be the time to start on a mild trail at lower speeds.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

well, I agree for the most part, except for the child abuse comment. I would certainly not be pounding it down rocky trails anyway. My relatives have a farm and I would like to take him for nice little putts through the fields. Maybe next summer bring him on an a trail ride, but not Jericho. I live right by the Rockingham Rec trail, which is an old railroad bed. Doesn't get any smoother and flatter than that.
My wife said someone at work told her about a harness made for smaller kids for atvs. Not sure about tying him down though. When he sits in front of me he holds on to the handlebars, without a problem.
Maybe one of those backpack harness things, where he'd be hooked to me instead of the atv?
People take small kids on bicycles in little seats, and even tow them behind bicycles in carts, so a slow moving atv shouldnt be anymore dangerous. I'd rather do that than travel on a road where all the drunks and texting teenagers are.
Thanks for the input.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:04 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Car Seat on a Quad?

I can tell you that if I tried to put a car seat or something of that making for my kid who wasn't yet two on a quad...it would result in him being raised without a father. My wife would probably shoot my ***! I would consider getting him a battery power thing or something of that matter...if it is as flat and smooth as advertised he should be able to get along with his own little wheels.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with mudslinger2. Do they make any tow behinds where you can strap him into it and him just go along for the ride or anything?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Trailblazer

On one hand I see everyone's point here on this being dangerous. On the other I can kinda see the OP's point when comparing this to infant seats and pull behinds for bicycles. I have an 8 yr old boy and 9 month old girl. Just now letting the 8 yr old ride in front of me on my Kingquad, yet pulled both of them in a pull behind on a bicycle.

Hmmmmm, what's that say about me? LOL! I can see where a nice EASY, FLAT ride in a secluded field by ourselves would be safer than on a road with drunks and texters. I limit pulling my kids to putting around the local park with jogging/biking only paths. However, a lot do pull on roads with cars too. I just can't bring myself to do that. Too many things I couldn't control that could hurt my child. I'd never forgive myself.

It seems to me that it would be super easy to hook my pull behind up to my hitch. My pull behind has a swivel that, in theory, should work just like on my bike. If I go down, the pull behind should remain upright. My pull behind has safety straps designed specifically for an infant up to a child 50lbs. It is also a steel cage. If properly strapped in, they could roll and remain safe. Now if the atv rolled backwards on top of the carrier, no dice.

My pull behind can be hooked up two ways. A balled end that fits into an attachment on the rear bike axle of bicycle and a pin/clip. The pin/clip would go on the atv just like a lawn attachment.

If you're dead set on this, I would limit this to yard putting or maybe a FLAT secluded field and keep it under 5 mph. My rule of thumb when it comes to my kids is: If I even stop to think "Is this safe" then it's not to me and I don't do it.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

You mentioned the ATV falling backwards onto the carrier. If the OP is doing riding where that is even a remote possibility, the children should not be included. However, he did say that he wanted to keep it to calm riding, so he should be good with getting a pull behind like you mentioned.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by dickenscpa
On one hand I see everyone's point here on this being dangerous. On the other I can kinda see the OP's point when comparing this to infant seats and pull behinds for bicycles. I have an 8 yr old boy and 9 month old girl. Just now letting the 8 yr old ride in front of me on my Kingquad, yet pulled both of them in a pull behind on a bicycle.

Hmmmmm, what's that say about me? LOL! I can see where a nice EASY, FLAT ride in a secluded field by ourselves would be safer than on a road with drunks and texters. I limit pulling my kids to putting around the local park with jogging/biking only paths. However, a lot do pull on roads with cars too. I just can't bring myself to do that. Too many things I couldn't control that could hurt my child. I'd never forgive myself.

It seems to me that it would be super easy to hook my pull behind up to my hitch. My pull behind has a swivel that, in theory, should work just like on my bike. If I go down, the pull behind should remain upright. My pull behind has safety straps designed specifically for an infant up to a child 50lbs. It is also a steel cage. If properly strapped in, they could roll and remain safe. Now if the atv rolled backwards on top of the carrier, no dice.

My pull behind can be hooked up two ways. A balled end that fits into an attachment on the rear bike axle of bicycle and a pin/clip. The pin/clip would go on the atv just like a lawn attachment.

If you're dead set on this, I would limit this to yard putting or maybe a FLAT secluded field and keep it under 5 mph. My rule of thumb when it comes to my kids is: If I even stop to think "Is this safe" then it's not to me and I don't do it.
I look at it this way. No matter how flat it is or how well you have them strapped in. There are no helmets on the market or any other safety equipment that will fit anyone below about the age of five or so. All it will take is one moment of concentration lapse or heaven forbid something happens where the ATV rolls over..Bottom line try explaining to the hospital and then the cops about how you attached something to an ATV that was never supposed to be mounted to it in the first place and it resulted in your child being hurt..

I have seen in person just how fast a Quad/ATV can go from being on its tires to being on its side/up side down...If it were me I would do a ton of soul searching to decide if the risk is worth it, as for me it would never be worth the risk...But tha's just me.

Quick Reply: how young for a passenger?