General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Mudding stories

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mudding stories

One time i went riding out on our local trails on my 2007 honda rubicon 500 and while i was riding, my snorkel got disconected from my airbox. i didnt realize this and we drove into a hole over my head deep, and im 5' 11". As soon as i drove in, the airbox completely filled with mud and water. the air filter was soaked and covered in mud. 22 miles from home and with annother atv running on fumes, i pulled off the air filter, washed it in the puddle i sank it in, started the atv, dried it with the exhaust till it was damp and rode it all the way home with an airbox full of mud and water and a wet air filter through 22 miles of mud, streams and holes moslty at least 3 feet deep. made it home like that, got home, changed the oil and the air filter. i opened up the carb and it was full of mud and water. i closed the carb after cleaning it, fired it up and ran good as new. i was amazed nothing in the engine was hurt from all the water. most reliable machine ever. POST YOUR BEST MUDDING STORIES

Old 10-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Range Rover

My Popo's so tough that if the mud hole is deep enough I go through it upside down.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tonythom
My Popo's so tough that if the mud hole is deep enough I go through it upside down.
And in reverse!!!

Old 10-13-2010, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

back in 02 I had a brand new 700 Sportsman, one of the first around. Highlifter lift kit, spacers and 28 inch Mud Lites. I attended a jamboree up north and competed in the mudbog. My Po made it look so easy, I turned around and went through it backwards just to be a showoff. Made it through with no problem. It was a bad idea though because what happened is it packed the fan with mud so it couldnt turn on. After the event we were riding back to our campsite and it overheated, and blew out a plastic elbow in the radiator hose. Right next to my left knee, big burst of steam, scared the bejesus out of me. For some reason I didn't have my cargo box full of recovery stuff with me, so I ended up pulling some winch line out and hooking it to the wifes machine, her Scrammy 500 pulled me the rest of the way back.

While we're on the subject of showing off, we once came upon a stream crossing where someone had fallen through the ice and was stuck in probably almost three feet of water, surrounded by ice on all sides. Bunch of riders standing around, no one with a winch. After I winched the machine out, I turned around and drove directly into the hole in the ice. After a few minutes of bouncing around inside this hole and getting colder and feeling stupider, and with a crowd jeering me, I was able to pop the front tires up enough to get them on top of the ice. Few minutes of ineffective spinning and more laughing from the crowd. Climbed onto the front rack putting all my weight on the front tires, held the handlebars in the wrong hands and pulled up while I was revving it. It worked, and my beast climbed out of the most impossible looking stuck ever.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

This one time, at band camp...