General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Throttle hand limited motion/weakness after riding

Old 07-19-2016, 09:43 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Iv had the same thing but funny enough it was what i was sleeping. For some reason i had made a clenched fist all night. My hand was not right for months and nothing was helping. Started taking arthritis med and within a week things were cleared up. I guess the anti inflammatory was a little heavier in those pills.

Also never let people talk you into areas/speeds that you are not comfortable with. Thats how people get seriously hurt or killed. If your friends do not under stand that then they need to grow up

Old 07-19-2016, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Rode atv's for 20 years and had that same problem when ever I went on a long ride. Used some hand exercises in the days leading up to a long ride and that helped. As I have grown older I now have arthritis in my hands and it has become worse! I did however find a very good solution to my problem, I went out and bought a side x side and no longer have any hand discomfort even after a long ride....so there is your remedy!!!! LOL

Old 06-16-2020, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long did it last?

My husband and I went out on Saturday and it was my first time on my own machine. It is now Tuesday and i have the same thing going on that you described. I'm starting to worry that i did permanent damage. Any and all info or advice is appreciated.

Originally Posted by adellarosa
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum so I hope this is the right place to post this.

I just spent all of last weekend riding a Blaster through tight trails and up and down ridiculous inclines. I had never ridden a quad before and I went with some friends who dragged me through some trails I had no business riding on. Needless to say, I was holding on for dear life most of the time. We rode all weekend long. I was fortunate in that I didn't spill or wreck at all but it looks like there's been some damage to my hand from riding alone. It's five days later and I still cannot put my index and middle fingers together when they are extended. If they are together when my hand is closed or slightly open, it is physically IMPOSSIBLE to open my hand the rest of the way. My index and middle fingers also just seem very weak. I can hardly turn the key to my car or smoke a cigarette without worrying about dropping it. The action of flicking has also become incredibly weak. The interesting thing is that there is no pain when attempting to do any of these things really, they just.. won't work. The only time i feel pain oddly enough is when I am washing my hair (the action of rubbing my hand along something round while applying pressure).

I guess the question here is what the hell did I do to myself and is this going to go away eventually? Its a huge deal to me because I am a musician and I have completely lost my ability to play ANY of the instruments I play because of this weakness in my hand. I figured it would go away by now (five days later) but it still has not. Is this normal for a new rider? I'm seriously scared for my career.. help!

Old 06-18-2020, 09:18 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

biggest thing for new riders to learn is quit holding on so tight.... As i told my gf their is no reason to white knuckle the bars... relax your hands and let the machine do the work... i have had both non power steering and power steering and my hands are just loosely holding on until i need to hold on tighter when doing technical areas.. Your hands are going to hurt when you have a death grip on the bars for hours... Sometimes changing grips to something a little more grippe helps in holding on so tight as it gives you the extra confidence your hands are not going to slip off..

The following users liked this post:
kolaurel (06-18-2020)