General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Throttle hand limited motion/weakness after riding

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle hand limited motion/weakness after riding

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum so I hope this is the right place to post this.

I just spent all of last weekend riding a Blaster through tight trails and up and down ridiculous inclines. I had never ridden a quad before and I went with some friends who dragged me through some trails I had no business riding on. Needless to say, I was holding on for dear life most of the time. We rode all weekend long. I was fortunate in that I didn't spill or wreck at all but it looks like there's been some damage to my hand from riding alone. It's five days later and I still cannot put my index and middle fingers together when they are extended. If they are together when my hand is closed or slightly open, it is physically IMPOSSIBLE to open my hand the rest of the way. My index and middle fingers also just seem very weak. I can hardly turn the key to my car or smoke a cigarette without worrying about dropping it. The action of flicking has also become incredibly weak. The interesting thing is that there is no pain when attempting to do any of these things really, they just.. won't work. The only time i feel pain oddly enough is when I am washing my hair (the action of rubbing my hand along something round while applying pressure).

I guess the question here is what the hell did I do to myself and is this going to go away eventually? Its a huge deal to me because I am a musician and I have completely lost my ability to play ANY of the instruments I play because of this weakness in my hand. I figured it would go away by now (five days later) but it still has not. Is this normal for a new rider? I'm seriously scared for my career.. help!

Old 12-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

id stretch your hand and fingers. I sometimes get numb fingers,but it goes away. Usually i bend my fingers back to stretch them out and hold them for a while. tends to help me.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

Your hands are just sore from riding, and if you do a lot of hard riding it can be quite a strain on your back and hands if your not used to it. If ive been riding for a long while my fingers and hands can get numb and sore. It will go a way after a period of time.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes I get numb and sore hands because I have carpal tunnel syndrome. It causes weakness too. I used to drop things at work all the time.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:17 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep- I've been riding for 20+ years also. I have CT in the wrists also- my fingers & hand go numb while riding and it's pretty painful.
Sounds like you just over strained your tendons & muscles- new riders tend to really tense up and try to over-control the atv instead of relaxing the upper body and staying loose.

Depends on the atv also- you probably should've just taken it easy with it being your first time. Just like with any sport, your body needs to break into it.
Call your doctor and get a steroid or take some OTC pain reliever like aleve.
You'll be fine though, a little stress will toughen those hands up

Old 12-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds like a case of "arm pump" or chronic exertional compartment syndrome.

Google both or either and there is lots of reading material.

Try ibuprofen or other nsaid's. Also you might see a massage therapist about Myofascial release treatment.

Carpel tunnel generally causes more numbness and/or pain than you are describing.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, feel better soon, and post back and let us know how you are doing.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

That happened to me when I first started taking long trips. It was a real pain since I always wear 501 Levi's and couldn't button up the front door. It did go away after awhile and I haven't had trouble with it since, much to the relief of my wife.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Definitely have a doctor look at it. Another thing that might have happened is having your wrist jammed when the front tires hit a root or rock. Either way, it's best to have it checked out.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thottle hand difficulty

Hi there,
I read a post from 2010 by adellarosa. I too drive an atv as a novice for 40 miles in various terrain. That evening I realized I cannot put any of my fingers together when they are extended. They are together when my hand is closed or slightly open. My fingers and hand are weak. No complaint of pain. This is Monday and this occurred on Saturday. I have not had any improvement and am concerned how long this will last or if I need to seek treatment. I now have my fingers bound together with coban so they won't stay apart, of course this can only intermitten. My fingers are not numb. My thumb is enlarged due to the throttle.
Any advise or words of encouragement.

Last edited by rsthienes; 07-18-2016 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelled name wrong
Old 07-18-2016, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

I'd say, work into it by going on short rides, not trying to keep up with a bunch of experienced riders. You might try some hand strengthening exercises, like squeezing a ball. I personally think driving a non power steering ATV is good upper body exercise. You should probably see a doctor, if it doesn't get better soon. Might need physical therapy.

Quick Reply: Throttle hand limited motion/weakness after riding