General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

ATV for work and some play...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 11:24 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think an important aspect to any working atv is clutching- and a good point was raised in an earlier post about the cvt.
Every atv except honda uses a cvt clutch (as far as I know)- and if you're planning on pulling and doing a lot of low rpm hauling, a cvt might not be the way to go... you can easily burn a cvt belt when towing. A honda tranny / clutch might be the way to go.

As for the SRA vs. IRS- my IRS atv's always pulled great- I pull an 800lb log splitter all over the trails around me- and a 4x8 trailer that I load with wood. Never a problem with squating or control. I also know a guy who uses a a KQ700 to tow boats around the boat yard- we're talking 20'+ boats- he uses a dolly under the hitch but still- we're talking about 3000-5000 lb boats!

Old 12-30-2010, 11:31 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every atv except honda uses a cvt clutch (as far as I know)- and if you're planning on pulling and doing a lot of low rpm hauling, a cvt might not be the way to go... you can easily burn a cvt belt when towing. A honda tranny / clutch might be the way to go
Its impossible to slip or burn a belt while in low range. I have tried. Thats why low range is a must option especially on a CVT ATV.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Trailblazer

For a CVT keep in mind where your clutching happens and keep a few hundred rpm higher than that ... so for me that happens around 1800 and i try to keep it around 2400min to avoid slipping and burning ... and even at that rpm im still going pretty slow

Old 12-30-2010, 11:49 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by TLC
Its impossible to slip or burn a belt while in low range. I have tried. Thats why low range is a must option especially on a CVT ATV.

sorry- meant to say low speed~

Old 12-30-2010, 12:23 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

But in low speed under load your suppose to be in low range, its why they have it. Low speed but not towing or climbing High Range is OK.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i concur with the posts about the cvt transmissions and the SRA. when i went shopping for a new quad in 2009, i had almost the same uses in mind. i also plow snow. after 8 months of paper research, i test drove and bought a honda rubicon with power steering. from my experience so far, it is perfect for what you have in mind (its what i do as well). i have towed loads of wood on my 5x10 trailer as well as towed my 6x10 enclosed trailer with it. i've drug full length trees with it and it plows snow quite smooth. the hydrostatic transmission is awesome for utility, low speed grunt work. the low range is awesome. the "3WD" due to no locking front diffrential was a concern for me, but so far i have been pleasantly suprised. when going through the snow and ice, i often ask the fiancee to tell me if the front tires are spinning. i even go slow and look myself. i would say 80% of the time both tires are pulling. bottom line is that even though i would love diff lock, it is rare that you need it in everyday working environment.

as for trail riding, the normal range and the smoothness of the transmission make for a nice ride. it is not the fastest or pepiest on the trails. it isnt as comfortable as a sportsman or other IRS machines, but it sure is a blast! one the big ride we had with about 12 people last year, we found some nice mud holes on the trails. we had 2 polaris's that were deadlined due to water leaking into their belt housing. that sucked waiting for those things to dry. i just kept making run after run through the mud on my rubicon and rancher

oh, and the power steering...it is a godsend. some will say it is another thing to go wrong and some may call you a wuss for having it, but it helps not only with arm fatigue, but with steering control and kickback. i will never buy another quad without power steering.

good luck with your decision, but my 2 cents = +1 for the rubicon!

Old 12-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

The X2 would be the best work atv, can even haul your Honda(they do make good generators) in the back!

Old 12-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm becoming less worried about the SRA/IRS thing. I went and looked at a Polaris Sportsman 550 and X2 today. Huge! While they look to be pretty good machines, I don't know if I'd want a machine that felt that big in the tight woods on my property. The Kawi Brute Force 650 was also pretty big and probably more power/sportiness than I'd need.

Any thoughts on the Yamaha Grizzly 450 or 550? These look to be a true midsize ATV, with full 4W lock and good tow/hauling capacity.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:52 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by sperho
Any thoughts on the Yamaha Grizzly 450 or 550? These look to be a true midsize ATV, with full 4W lock and good tow/hauling capacity.

The grizz 450 is a good machine, very comfortable and reliable. I'm not a big fan of their suspension but it's all about what you're used to.

You might consider the King Quad- I think they make a 450 or 500 and I'd take the KQ over the grizz. Full locking front diff, fuel inj, IRS... it's a nice mid sized atv.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

Do you want a work atv or a toy? Midsize atvs are for small people, women and children.

Quick Reply: ATV for work and some play...