General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Was looking for information about GPS's

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was looking for information about GPS's

I did a search for GPS, Gps and gps and came back with nothing.

I was thinking about getting a cheap = (relative term) gps to prevent me from having to eat nuts and berries as I make my way out. I was looking for ideas about which ones are best and why.

Give me some ideas or tell me where to find this information please.

tumblebug

Old 03-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Trailblazer

Try places like Cabellas, Bass pro shops, or go to garmin, or rocky mountain atv/mc

Old 03-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

We use a Garmin Venture HC handheld GPS. It is nothing special, but it will leave a bread crumb trail that allows us to back track or compare our route to a map and figure out where we are. If you search around you can find these for around $100.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Oldtimer,

I know I can go to several places and buy a new GPS unit. What I was wanting was for the ones that use them on their atv's to give me an idea of which one they think is best and why.

What I seem to have found out is that the search system doesn't seem to recognize (GPS or Gps or gps) If I search for "navigation" it gives me the information I am looking for.

tumblebug

Old 03-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Mud Slinger,

From what little I know about the handhelds, the bread crumb trail is probably the most important. I am also interested in a satellite overlay capability. When it comes down to what I actually get, I may not be able to afford the overlay option. But I figure it is always worth asking about.

Again, thanks all for the response.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Garmin Dakota 20 and it works well. It has mapping capability so you can download topo maps and such. A mapping one is well worth it because of this (I use mine for hunting also). You can get maps at filedepot.com that other people have made and uploaded. Garmin seems to be more intuitive and easier to use then others to me.

Also, you can likely find an Oregon series one for cheap these days...they are the same as my Dakota 20, but have a bigger screen

Old 03-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I just picked up the garmin etrex venture HC with topo software included for $120 at dicks sporting goods on clearance. The salesman said they're going to stop carrying the venture in order to make way for the next greatest thing that came out from garmin so good deals are there to be found. From just playing around with it, it seems to be a good little unit. The topo software that came with it has mapping for the entire U.S. The venture HC has 20 mb of storage which means I can't store the whole U.S. with streets, towns and roadways but I can store quite a bit of detailed mapping. For example I have all of northern IN, all of Manistee national forest MI and surrounding area , and all of the Hatfield Mccoy area with about 8 mb to spare. And if I'm going elsewhere all I have to do is plug into my computer, insert disk and load the maps I want or remove maps I don't want.