General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Securing your ATV's

Old 03-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Securing your ATV's

I have four ATV and currently I run a long trailer chain through all 4 bikes and then secure the chain with 2 level 6 Master locks.

I am just wondering what everyone uses to keep your stuff safe in your backyard or even camping. I was told to put a smaller lock in the rear disc to keep the bike from rolling as well. My biggest issue is my chain is scratching the bikes. I am considering a 1/2 thick cable but at the same time I am concerned that a cable may be easier to cut than a chain. Granted if anyone has bolt cutters they can get the bikes free. Just looking for ideas. My family and I are headed to the Las Vegas area next week for vacation and wanna make sure my bikes come back home with me as well.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 03-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

I have 2 cable locks that I bought at a local auto parts store for about 20 each they have a built in lock on them one goes on the front attatched to something (trailer or deck pillars) and one on the back attatched the same way through the frame and to something they are rubber coated cables so they dont scratch anything

Old 03-24-2012, 11:06 PM

Mine are in a garage/shed, noisey to open, which starts the coondog (s) a barken, which gets me on the deck with a shotgun and spotlight. Once i build a smooth garage im going to have to rig an alarm.. but yeah id say all those precautions would be good.. a dog would be good to, as well as any alarm (like those motion sensored lights). A theif could grind through almost anything if hes lucky..

Old 03-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cables are actually better than chains, they flex so much, it is difficult to cut them with a bolt cutter or saw, only takes a few seconds to snip a chain link with a bolt cutter. Some of the best anti theft cables are coated fine wire cable, very strong, but extremely flexible, when you try to cut it with a bolt cutter, the fine wires flatten out and won't cut, a bolt cutter is not a shear, it can't cut a fine or soft wire, it chisels its way into a chain link and snaps it due the the tensile strength of the link, where a wire will bend and give, and not allow the jaws to cut it.Same with a saw, the teeth have a harder time getting a cut started on the flexible wire strands, so it take a thief 5 time longer to cut it, and they want a quick easy job, so many will abandon the cable and run, fearing being caught for taking too much time.
I like the idea of those portable car alarms that bolt/lock onto the wheel, they are cheap, and any sudden noise will send most thieves running.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i concur with the others. build a shed to house your quads at home and then lock the shed and protect it various different ways. on a trip, cables are lighter and harder to breech. i kinda got a chuckle when you said the chain was scratching the quads,,,,heck, mine get scratched while i'm out riding.
another thing to do, or quit doing, is announcing via internet sites that "you're going somewhere at such and so time on vacation". if you're going to announce your trip, do it afterwards when you have returned. . good luck and have fun!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

i use a thick chain that has a rubber over sleeve and attaches to my 4x4