General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 01:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission

Is Honda the only wheeler that doesn't use a belt driven clutch? I am just curious because I just had to replace another belt on my polaris. Not really wanting to change brands, but just curious. Thanks for your time

Old 03-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

how old was the belt? are your sheaves worn and prematurely wearing it out? i believe yamaha still has some models with a centrifugal clutch along with honda. don't know about other brands.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:42 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaster94
how old was the belt? are your sheaves worn and prematurely wearing it out? i believe yamaha still has some models with a centrifugal clutch along with honda. don't know about other brands.

honda's still holding on to their cvt-less tranny

you didn't give any details about your polaris so- can't comment on you breaking the belt.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2001 Sportsman 500 DUSE. The belt had around 2300 miles on it. A honda buddy and I were playing around in some pretty deep water a few weeks back and i swamped the clutch. Pulled the cover off, changed belt, blew out black dust and installed new seal and a nice bead of silicon around the cover. Runs like a champ now! Should be good till the next time the water gets a bit too deep lol. Thanks again

Old 03-25-2012, 11:37 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whitelightning22250
I have a 2001 Sportsman 500 DUSE. The belt had around 2300 miles on it. A honda buddy and I were playing around in some pretty deep water a few weeks back and i swamped the clutch. Pulled the cover off, changed belt, blew out black dust and installed new seal and a nice bead of silicon around the cover. Runs like a champ now! Should be good till the next time the water gets a bit too deep lol. Thanks again
we usually get pretty wet atving around new england- I've sunk my 06 sportsman 800 so many times up to the seat in mud & water- I lost count, as well as my outtlanders & renegade- I've never had a busted belt, had a belt slip or any other cvt issues. (actually- my 05 & 06 brutforce 750's had crappy cvt reliability)

if your cvt is slipping after you go through a little water, there's another problem- maybe water getting in around the cvt breather or something.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission-100_2417.jpg   Transmission-100_2410.jpg   Transmission-picture1.php.jpg   Transmission-212.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 12:07 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Yamaha 400 Big bears and Suzuki 400 Eiger/KQ still have shifter trannys.

2300 miles out of a belt that only cost $80 and is easy to change does not seem bad.

Snowmobiles are my first sport, I figure if a belt can handle my sled with 800cc and 160 hp then they do not even really work hard on a ATV.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your feedback fellas. I think it should be fine now. The old belt that i took off wasn't even close to as reinforced as my new one. Im hoping the extra bead of silicone helps keep the water out. I think the reason the water got in was because the wheeler died when the water was seat deep. Other than an easy belt change, Im really liking my purchase of the polaris!

Old 03-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

be cautious if your in deep water and you allow it to stall out it can suck water back in through the exhaust and lock the piston (aqualock) when I am in water I feather the throttle to keep it running so it dont suck water in through the tailpipe

Old 03-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have any of you guys added a drain plug to the bottom of the clutch cover? I thought of doing that so i dont have to pull the cover off to drain water next time

Old 03-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

on mine (newer than yours) has a red drain plug in it already from the factory it sits to the rear of the machine on the cover

Quick Reply: Transmission