General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Title Question - Sold Quad

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Title Question - Sold Quad

I sold my quad recently but never got a title for it in the first place, I figured like any of vehicle I would get it after I paid it off. Well I paid it off shortly after I sold it and never got a title.

The guy I sold it to is demanding a title because he said they are required in Illinois (I am in Indiana). I was under the impression that they do not need to be titled and the only reason to title them is to prove you own it. I was also under the impression that when you went to get it titled you had to pay sales tax which would be quite a lot. I have called the bank and they do not have one and I have talked to the store I purchased it from and they said the bank has to have it because the bank will not finance without a title.

The bank said either they lost it or never got it in the first place, so they do not have it, the store I got it from does not have it so I am just at a loss and I do not know what to do right now. They also checked with the DMV and the DMV said they have no record of it so it was never registered.

I have a bill of sale that we did (one of those I sold it to you with both our names signed it deals), and a paper from the bank saying that I do not owe anything on it. I offered to send that to him and he agreed them came back saying he had to have the title.

Anyone have any idea's or thoughts?

Old 05-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

I have heard of some states actually needing the title for them so they can register it to ride on the state owned trails.

Not a necessity here, yet. But I do know you can apply for a bonded title here. Cost more, and more hassle, but it can be done. Might have him check and see if his state issues bonded titles.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

many states are "non-titling" states.
for example- like here in New Hampshire- if you buy a new atv from the dealer, you will not be issued a title.

States that require a title will understand this and usually allow a previous / current reg, Bill of Sale or the origonal dealer paperwork in place of a title.

also- dealers selling in non-titled states usually offer a slip or form at the time of purchase, stating that "this atv has been purchased from a non-titling state" and the dealer usually has a watercrest seal they stamp on the slip.

regardless if you buy a new atv from a titling state or a non-titling state, it's standard for most atv manufacturers to include a "certificate of origin" that follows the atv and the new owners. You can usually obtain a copy of this certificate by calling the manufacturer and giving them your vin# - there may be a small fee for the copy.

in either case- you AND the buyer should be doing some research and making phone calls to the local dealers and RMV to get some answers.

I have a bill of sale that we did (one of those I sold it to you with both our names signed it deals), and a paper from the bank saying that I do not owe anything on it. I offered to send that to him and he agreed them came back saying he had to have the title.
the lien release is an important paper- he should be fine with a bank lien release and bill of sale.
if not, then he'll have to figure it out on his end- because it's all you have, plain & simple.

There has to be exceptions in every state that require titles- because titles were never handed with atv's many years ago.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Massachusetts and we are not required to have Titles for atvs, dirt bikes and snowmobiles. However, if you purchase it new, you must have a Certificate of Origin and the Registry will require to see it. We only need a Bill of Sale for used ones.

With that said, I just had a similar problem with mine. I just purchased 2009 leftover that although it's 3 years old, it's new and I was required to have the Certificate of Origin. The Dealer lost or misplaced it and had to contact the Manufacturer to get a duplicate. It took about a week and in my case, there was no charge, there might be a fee in your case.

Good luck, Mike.