General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Gas Cans

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Cans

Been surfing online looking for gas cans that I can take on the trail. I found 3 so far.

Roto Pax which is quite pricey, but seems to have good reviews.

Kolpin which is basically the same style as Roto Pax, but much easier to obtain as I can get it locally. But the reviews online say it leaks around the filler cap regardless of how tight the cap is.

Was also on Cabela's website and they have a gear bag that appears to hold a 5 gallon gas can and a small cooler. Made by Mad Dog Gear and the part # is IK-524277. Much cheaper than the first two, but also bulkier too.

Does anybody have any experience with any of the above or maybe know of another type?

Old 05-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I've tried regular gas cans and they can weep gas through the nozzle. Had better luck with Rotopax. You just have to make sure the cap is tight. I didn't have it tight enough one trip and had a little get out. I think Kolpin's cans are better than they used to be.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer

The last time I took gas cans, I just strapped a couple onto the racks. They didn't leak and luckily I never needed them either. But I did have to stop periodically and readjust the cans as they kept moving. I definitely need a better solution this time.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:18 PM

I had to buy a new gas can.. and a diesel jug.... It said it was a no spill jug... HA! I spent hours trying to get fuel... and then.... It was like trying to get fuel from a stone pouring it in there!! All this eco freindly junk does not help... I'd say go for an aftermarket one....

Old 05-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

I've only ever heard good things about the Rotopax, I think for the money they are worth it. I know several folks who have done some hard riding with them and no leaks or problems.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:15 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!

Rotopax cans are pricey, but definitely worth it! We ride with a group of four and all have a rotopax can. The only issue that we have ever had was a spout that came apart...I called and had a new one in the mail within days with no questions asked and no charge! I would highly recommend rotopax!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Range Rover

I have rotopax and koplin both and neither one has leaked on me. But I do like that The rotopax allows The lid to tuck inside The can itself when riding, you get a little gas on your hands when you pull it out to fill up but you don't have to worry about it snagging on anything as you ride and you can find just The cap without The spout just nearly anywhere for either one same cap for both and put it on while riding if it leaks I would think you could release The pressure or teflon tape. They both work just fine for me on some 75+ mile days.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the feedback.

It's more or less the same as what I found on my google research and customer reviews. Everything I keep researching says go with Roto Pax. It's also a hair cheaper from Kolpin which is a plus.

On a side note, I also ordered the Mad Dog Gear bag I posted about. Don't really have plans of carrying the 5 gallon gas can, but I liked the idea of carrying the small cooler.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Range Rover

NO-SPILL INC. | Lenexa, KS 66215

Check out these cans.I have two of them and they are easy to use,pour great and don't leak a drop.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:40 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just mounted these kolpin jr. 1.5 gallon tanks on the back of my 2011 outty 800 max.
I like'em, but kolpin "universal" mounts are not so universal. They don't work well with the flat can-am rack and I had to customize the brackets a bit.

Also just mounted a kolpin 4 gallon flat fuel cell on a friends rincon 680 and I had to do a bit of custom work to the "universal" mounts.

that being said- it is a nice system once it's all secured to the rack.

the 1.5 gal kolpin jr cell was $70 each and that included the bracket & shipping. Found'em on ebay- plenty more on ebay.

Quick Reply: Gas Cans