General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Flat tires - what do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat tires - what do you do?

I live in Arizona now and am going to pick up a couple of quads this year. I have used tire plugs to fix small punctures, but I am concerned about a bigger hole and being stuck in the desert. I mountain bike and always carry an extra tube, but I guess what I'm wondering is what amount of flat tires are you seeing that destroy a tire?

Aren't most flats small ones that could be fixed temporarily with a tire plug kit? I see foam inserts are available but it would be expensive for two machines, so I dont want to over think it. How often are you getting flat tires if you stay on the trails?

Old 10-25-2012, 01:04 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there's no "standard" for flat tires. they occur when they occur- there is no "consistency" regarding flat tires!

could be anything from a dislocated tire bead, a slice from a pinched sidewall, a spike through the tread... anything.
and usually- any sidewall damage at all = tire is done.

I carry a spare tube in the trailer- on the atv I have a small air compressor, plug kit and a bottle of slime.

other than that- pick a good line to ride and pay attention.

your eyeballs are the most effective "flat tire prevention kit" out there!

Old 10-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Agree on the eyeballs part. Watch the trail ahead for bad-for-tire situations. The only time this won't work is going really fast. Whatever speed I'm going I try to move my gaze from way out front to close to the quad and back and forth over and over. Don't ride with a fixed gaze. You'll miss something eventually.

I also have a compressor, plugs, glue, etc. I've managed to fix a sidewall gash that took 3 plugs to patch and it held up for another 1000 miles or so. Plenty of nail holes in tires over the year. Those are usually one plug and glue and off you go.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

I just ride with these guys, then I don't have to bring anything

This stuff works well: ATV Tire Sealant - Pro Series

Old 10-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Slime is your friend. I also carry a bottle of RTV silicone on the trail. It's very crude but it works well enough to limp you home if you gash a side wall.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:57 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Bring it all! Have tires loaded with Slime,bring plugs and a can of "Fix-A-Flat" under the seat.