General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Why did you buy...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 04:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why did you buy...

The brand that you did? I learned to ride on an 89 yamaha moto 4. It's still goin strong today and has only needed one rear hub. Period. For Christmas 99 my parents agreed to buy me a new ATV. I picked out a new honda rancher es 4x4. I had it less than a year and had a ton of problems with the electric shift. My parents were sick of it so we sold it and got a new 2000 big bear and it has been an awesome machine. So now were looking at adding another machine so I'm looking at a timberwolf 4x4. So that's why I'm a yamaha guy. Why AT's y'all honda, Polaris, yamaha, Suzuki, etc. people?

Old 10-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

i dont choose one over another, i own a honda, polaris and a yamaha. ive owned many other brands and models. im sure that your honda would been great but unfortunatly the electronic shift has been known for problems. theres a kink in every brand. a timberwolf is a great choice. i owned a 94 2wd and still want to get another to this day. most will side by a brand but i always say go with what suits you. if its a lemon then thats another lesson learned. im an atv guy and appreciate many makes and models. thats just my 2 cents

Old 10-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first atv was a sportsman 500 I got on my brothers reccomendation. I liked it so well I bought another ... and another ...

Old 10-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Trailblazer

I appreciate all makes too, I guess some just appeal to me more than others. Never really been a Suzuki or Kawasaki fan. I'm partial to honda and yamaha. I'd like to own another honda someday. I've just always had good luck with yamaha.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:42 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I always buy used so I really just wanted 4wd and after that its about condition and price.
Had a 89 250 Moto4, 89 350 Big Bear, 2001 450 Foreman, 2001 Polaris SP500 and just bought a 07 350 Grizzly.

All ran/run great without any real problems. Never bought a lemon yet.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Rode my cousin's Honda Fourtrax early on. Rode a buddies Honda ATC and then Recon. First quad I bought was a used Kawasaki Lakota 300, then a used Polaris Xplorer 250. Had a couple small issues with the Xplorer. Bought a Polaris Sportsman X2 500. First new quad. Put up with a lot of abuse and didn't do too badly until I hit a rock really hard under my transmission and knocked something loose despite the metal skid plates. Just got the Can-Am Outlander Max 650 XT-P this past summer. Like it a lot. Son went from the Kawasaki Lakota, to a Polaris ATP 500, and now has the Can-Am Renegade 500. It's a blast to drive.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first ever was a Suzuki, and I always have a soft spot for them. I feel they were the first manufacturer to step up and challenge Honda on build quality/longevity. Having said that, I am primarily a Yamaha guy. Anyone who has ever ridden a Banshee will know why Besides that, Yamaha was the only one to stay faithful with the sport riders through it all, and they had the vision to bring the 450 racer market back in roaring style.

Having said that, I own Honda, Yamaha, and Polaris products currently and love them all.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

My first ever ATV was a Yamaha Wolverine 350, and I bought it because of its mix of sport and 4x4 capability. Since then I've owned every brand except Suzuki. My latest ATV was purchased because of its handling and suspension, its a Polaris Sportsman 850 XP. I had come off of a Can Am Outlander 1000, so I stepped down a bit in power, but the handling and suspension were sooooo much better that they won me over.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:26 AM

I lean towards Honda- I'd be willing to guess that my honda 110 is still going. (sold it for $20)

Yamaha has a pretty good name on the trails around here to

Polaris... The rzr we have now- I don't like it myself. Just because it drives like a go-kart.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:51 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stick the the larger 4x4 atv's-
I bought my ummmm- 8th can-am outlander new a few months ago- 800 max xt, just so I can pull TROK out of the mud on his sporty

I've also owned or have ridden just about every big bore 4x4 atv made- and the can-am has the perfect balance of sport & utility IMHO. More nimble than the polaris xp's, and more reliable & comfortable in deep mud & water than a sporty 100 miles down trail.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy...