General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Silly spare key question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is crazy that's about what a key for a car/truck with a lock and unlock button on it cut and programmed for the vehicle.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:46 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrandon
That is crazy that's about what a key for a car/truck with a lock and unlock button on it cut and programmed for the vehicle.
when you spend $12,000+ on a new can-am + $1500 - $3000 on basic bolt on accessories... having an integrated security system with a $100 digi-key is what I call "peace of mind"

my wifes VW Passat key was $167-

Old 12-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut

my key stays in the ignition 98% of the time- the only time I remove it is when I'm trailering or doing overnight rides staying at a motel or camp-

I'd love to have a spare key- but they are like $100.
If I had a spare key- I'd probably keep it in my truck.
When I bought the Can-Am I had them throw in a spare key for free.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Trailblazer

I had one spare key made for each type, the limited and unlimited keys. If I wanted others it was $36 per as they are programmed (if I understood this correctly). That included the blank.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

depends on your ride. I have a spare key inside the shifter handle of my popo. I figure if I ever lose my key on the trail, all I need is my leatherman to pop off the top to get at it.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:10 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!

My spare key hangs in my closet at home. I use a key chain with the stretch spiral cord and loop that through the front rack of the quad that way if it comes out while towing, it will still be attached by the cord!

Old 12-17-2012, 06:42 AM

not a can-am DESS key
might find one on ebay for around $50 - then pay shop rate to have it programmed to your can-am's ecm. I believe MSRP for one key is around $80 + programming.
Some people hate the digital key- personally- I love it. It renders the atv totally useless if it's hot-wired. The Rotax engine wont run without the ECM program & EFI fuel maps- Anyone who steals a can-am without the DESS key has a lot of work & money ahead of'em to get the atv operational again.
So in other words if there is a nuclear bomb and the grid shuts off your quad won't run?

I ride a honda

Old 12-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by TacticalRedneckofKentucky
So in other words if there is a nuclear bomb and the grid shuts off your quad won't run?

I ride a honda
I don't think if it landed next to you it would matter.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TacticalRedneckofKentucky

I ride a honda

well- I guess in that case... I would have to unplug my atv from the wall and strap a generator to the rear rack to power it

Old 12-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

well- I guess in that case... I would have to unplug my atv from the wall and strap a generator to the rear rack to power it
Chernobly quad, it grew a generator.

Quick Reply: Silly spare key question.