General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Silly spare key question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 02:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silly spare key question.

Been riding dirt bikes for 30 years and just bought my first quad (2013 Polaris 500 Touring-so momma can go). None of my dirt bikes ever came with a key so never had to think about it.
The question is, do you guys take your spare keys out with you when you ride, keep it in the truck or leave it at home?

Old 12-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Range Rover

I usually always keep my spare key in my truck cause that is what it gets hauled on most of the time and its there if I need it and if I am going on a trip I try to keep my key I'm using in my pocket if I am not driving the quad. And I never leave it in the ignition while transporting as I have had the blow out and lost them forever. And if its in my pocket I know its safe cause I have yet to lose my pants while riding and I figure if I do I will have bigger issues than a lost key any how.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Always carry spare keys on me. It's too easy to lose a key when you take a break from riding and take it out of the ignition. Friend lost his key leaving it in the ignition on the trailer. I always get some bright orange parachute cord or a bright colored key ring/strap for the main keys. Easy to spot them if you drop them.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I'm an oddball. I always leave my spare key at home. I've never lost an atv key or any other key that I can recall.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:39 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I never take the key out period, but we ride and camp in pretty remote places where thieves are rarer than a Italian WWII war hero.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Spare key , I just might get me one of them.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:55 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
I never take the key out period, but we ride and camp in pretty remote places where thieves are rarer than a Italian WWII war hero.

my key stays in the ignition 98% of the time- the only time I remove it is when I'm trailering or doing overnight rides staying at a motel or camp-

Originally Posted by jgar
Spare key , I just might get me one of them.
I'd love to have a spare key- but they are like $100.
If I had a spare key- I'd probably keep it in my truck.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beergut

my key stays in the ignition 98% of the time- the only time I remove it is when I'm trailering or doing overnight rides staying at a motel or camp-
Same here. But I do keep my spare in the truck when I'm riding

I'd love to have a spare key- but they are like $100.
If I had a spare key- I'd probably keep it in my truck.
Where are you looking at a key for $100 ? You can get them all day long on ebay for less than $20. I got mine from ebay (make sure you get the right blank), and any key shop can cut them for less than $5.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:39 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tekrsq
Same here. But I do keep my spare in the truck when I'm riding

Where are you looking at a key for $100 ? You can get them all day long on ebay for less than $20. I got mine from ebay (make sure you get the right blank), and any key shop can cut them for less than $5.

not a can-am DESS key
might find one on ebay for around $50 - then pay shop rate to have it programmed to your can-am's ecm. I believe MSRP for one key is around $80 + programming.
Some people hate the digital key- personally- I love it. It renders the atv totally useless if it's hot-wired. The Rotax engine wont run without the ECM program & EFI fuel maps- Anyone who steals a can-am without the DESS key has a lot of work & money ahead of'em to get the atv operational again.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a can-am DESS key
might find one on ebay for around $50 - then pay shop rate to have it programmed to your can-am's ecm. I believe MSRP for one key is around $80 + programming.
Some people hate the digital key- personally- I love it. It renders the atv totally useless if it's hot-wired. The Rotax engine wont run without the ECM program & EFI fuel maps- Anyone who steals a can-am without the DESS key has a lot of work & money ahead of'em to get the atv operational again.

Oh...didn't pay attention to that, lol.

Quick Reply: Silly spare key question.