General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Edge 90cc new to the game

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I have the same quad as this a edge 90cc but its been stored for a few years after it looks like to be used for no more than an hour from new before the person stored it they took the ht lead cap off took the spark plug and battery off I have replaced all these but there is no spark also someone must have lost the key you have to turn it on by screwdriver seems to work fine tho as all lights etc come on when turned did you find out the promblem for yours ?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ashleygent
Hi I have the same quad as this a edge 90cc but its been stored for a few years after it looks like to be used for no more than an hour from new before the person stored it they took the ht lead cap off took the spark plug and battery off I have replaced all these but there is no spark also someone must have lost the key you have to turn it on by screwdriver seems to work fine tho as all lights etc come on when turned did you find out the promblem for yours ?
please explain "ht lead cap".
take off the ignition switch and take it to a locksmith. they can make a key for it for less than $10.
check your left handlebar kill switch and make sure it's working correctly. may need to test the wiring there. make sure it's in the right position. should be the RED slider switch.
i take it that the quad cranks/turns over? that's how you found the no spark condition? is the coil plugged in?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Cheers it was the ht lead I just replaced it and I got it started by jump starting it off my car

Old 04-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Back at it again

Hey thanks for all the good suggestions. Ok, so my carb was a mess, I went ahead and replaced it with a new one. I triple checked the wiring. A friend told me to be sure to check the wiring from the start switch to the battery. I found one connector with a little build up so I replaced it. All looks good, I also checked resistance and that checks out good. I wondered about the start relay so I did some online searching and I found how to check it. It seems to be good. Now, I'm wondering about the rear tether switch. How does it look and how do I check it? Oh by the way I did check compression and it's good.
Just to recap, I've replaced the following items: CDI, spark plug, rectifier, and carb. I've also adjusted the valves.
Still no spark. Do any of you have other ideas?

Again...thanks for all you help.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

on your coil, unplug from the spark plug. crank and test that output with your meter. what is that showing? the rear tether, is it intact? with it not tripped, it should allow spark also. test both sides of it---coming in and going out.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default tether check

What does the tether look like? I have a small cylinder shaped item below the seat on the left side as you are looking from rear to front, that has two wire running to it. I'd have to guess this is it, but can't figure out if it's missing a part of not. What type of reading should I get from this? Also, when I unplug the spark plug and test at the coil am I look for 12V reading? Sorry for all the questions but I'm really clueless here.. As you can tell

Old 04-20-2013, 06:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by casper510
What does the tether look like? I have a small cylinder shaped item below the seat on the left side as you are looking from rear to front, that has two wire running to it. I'd have to guess this is it, but can't figure out if it's missing a part of not. What type of reading should I get from this? Also, when I unplug the spark plug and test at the coil am I look for 12V reading? Sorry for all the questions but I'm really clueless here.. As you can tell
yeah, and it comes apart. should be two pieces that mesh together. when together, it completes the circuit, when pulled apart, it grounds the circuit thus killing spark.
when testing the coil output, there's a lot of electricity.....more than 12volts, be careful and don't get zapped. but if you're uncomfortable with testing it, a normal "check for spark" grounding of the plug on the cylinder will suffice. just what color is the spark? how much spark is there? is it big and healthy or weak and intermittent?

Old 05-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what happened??? Did you get it running??????

Old 05-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Tether check

Hey thanks for checking in on me. Well I did the check of the tether and it looks like I was missing the other part so I decided to just remove the whole darn thing. I double checked the wiring and the placement of the wires in the CDI and I'm pretty sure I have everything I the right place but I'm still not getting a spark. I'm at wits end! I'm not sure if I should take it to an ATV shop and ask them to diagnose the problem. Once I removed the tether and it's wiring, I checked for a spark by grounding it and still didn't get anything. Any last advise before I give up on this thing?

Again many thanks for all your help.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I brought it to a shop that will charge me $$$ I would see if a relative or neighbor that fixes things can help out. These "shade tree" mechanics are not always the best options and sometimes it is better to avoid them, but getting a spark shouldn't be too difficult for someone that knows a few basics. A simple small engine repair shop may be a cheaper option as well. ATV, motorcycle, and boat dealerships are not known to have low prices on repairs and for something that should be relatively simple why pay top dollar?

Quick Reply: Edge 90cc new to the game