General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Edge 90cc new to the game

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Edge 90cc new to the game

Hi Ya'll,
I'm a newbie to the quad world. I received a "free broken quad" from my cousin and have been trying to get it running. I can't seem ti get it ti fire up. Here's what I've done so far. I replace the spark plug, CDI, Ignition coil, recahrged the battery, seems to be holding the charge, cleaned the carburator. I found a small chain behind the Stator that had come lose so I reinstalled it. I've check all the wires and found some corroded connections and replaced them. When I try to start it I make sure the brake is on, I've read that some will not start without the brakes engaged. I have clean fuel, and new oil change. I don't have a repair manuel to use as a referance. I've been watching a lot of on line video's and reading whatever I can get my hands on. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of a good repair manuel that would come in handy? I'd appreciate any help.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You never said if it's even turning over...

Have you checked to ensure you are getting a spark?

Are you getting fuel?

If you have those two it sure fire...

Old 02-03-2013, 07:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

You're right, I left out some important pieces of the puzzle. The carb is getting fuel, I do have a spark. I have the back wheels off the ground and the wheels turn when I try to crank it, not sure if this thing should even do that. It sounds like it wants to start.
Thanks for your help.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

3 things to do:
1. get a compression gauge and check compression. must be >90 psig.
2nd. , i know you said you've got spark, BUT please listen. how did you test for spark? replace the spark plug with an NGK. get a new one. i've seen that a spark plug will spark but won't spark under pressure-i'm still studying this phenomenon. but replacing the spark plug with a brand new one HAS fixed other quads with a similiar problem to what you're describing. c'mon, it's only $3! worth a try.
3rd, carb is getting fuel is fine, but is it making it through the jets? is your spark plug wet with gasoline when you crank? that should tell us a lot.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry meant to say I don't have a spark.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's where I'd start...

Old 02-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

ok, the brake switch is for cranking/turning over the engine. that's a safety interlock for the kids not to run over themselves when starting the quad.
as for the no spark condition:
try a new spark plug
test the kill switch on the left handlebar
check out the wiring on the keyed ignition switch and make sure that wiring is intact.
check the rear tether kill switch at the rear of the quad. it may be under the seat.
double check coil wire for frays/deficiencies
double check coil/cdi that pinched wires or any wire jacket deficiencies such as cracks, pinch points, or holes in the wire jacket/plastic coating.
report back.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

when cranking, if you give it a shot of ether/starting fluid and it fires up and runs on that shot of fluid, then you have a gasoline delivery problem which leads to plugged jets. but if in the future you do this, be conservative, so you don't ruin the engine.
that is after you repair your no spark condition.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll give a a try and get back, that's again.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Once you get spark, I'm wondering about that chain. Could that be a timing chain and if so, it would effect the valve timing if incorrectly installed.

Quick Reply: Edge 90cc new to the game