General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

ATV Loan, can i make it work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013 | 08:47 AM
Pro Rider

Third on what they say.

IMO, I would NEVER get a loan for an ATV. Unless I was using it for a business and was making money with it. If you're not using it to make money, then it is a toy, and you should not go into debt to buy a toy.

With every paycheck you should pay yourself at least 10%. That should go into some kind of account that is completely off limits, except for an emergency. A real emergency like you lost your job and you need to pay your mortgage this month. Or put it into a retirement account. Either way, the intentions are that you do not touch this money while you are receiving a paycheck.

You should also be thinking about saving money for a house or some land to build on.

Do you have any large cities near you? Anything within a day's driving distance? If so, I would search craigslist (or whatever is equivalent in that area) for a deal on a used ATV. Most of these things are really reliable, and if they have not been abused, you will save A LOT of money by buying a used one. Even if you have to drive 12hrs, stay in a hotel and drive another 12 hrs, it will be cheaper than buying a new one.

Old 04-17-2013 | 09:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

In Canada there is not much for $2000 even used I know.
I payed $3200 just for a 350 Grizzly last summer, but the poor guy who bought it new payed $6000 so I don,t feel to bad.

The thing looks and runs like new,so I think I made out way better then the original owner.

Old 04-17-2013 | 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Its unfortunate that the banks and big business have made borrowing and credit seem so important and normal. They plant the thought that you should just borrow money so you can establish your credit. You can establish credit without borrowing (credit cards payed off each month, etc...). I for one started out young with great ambitions of having stuff and quickly found myself in debt with little money left over to enjoy all the stuff I had aquired through credit and payments. The absolute best thing you can do is save the money and pay cash. You only need credit if you haven't saved the cash and believe me if you borrow the money and don't make the payments your "bad credit" will be worse than no credit. I'm 46 now with zero debt and a boatload of cash because I started making good decisions about what I want and what I need and now have the patience to save. Don't forget insurance for your ATV because if you borrow the money you will have to have full coverage if the ATV is the collateral. If you do borrow just remember the you will be tempted to get into a "time payment" mentality which will lead you down the path of debt. Just my two cents, which you can borrow at 5.5% APR. Good luck young man!