General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

are atv's making a comeback????

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are atv's making a comeback????

for the last 5 years or so, side by sides have been a hot market. can anyone chime in on the current market for atv's and if they are still stale or are coming back to popularity? i have recently seen some cheap cheap rangers/razrs.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't know about your area,but we sold about an equal number of both atv and utvs up until I retired late 2010. Been back several times since then and it's like nothing has changed. Depends a lot on where you are,riding areas,laws,etc. Plus we sold a lot of both to ranchers,farmers and hunters along with the pleasure riders.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:20 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the off roading sport in general is (has been) taking off-
still see way more atv's (newer ones) then sxs's around here.
really depends of where you live and trail access.
10 years ago- I'd have told you that you're nuts if you spend $8k on a new atv-
now, I didn't think twice about dropping $7k down payment on a new outlander 800 max xt and signing a note for the other $6k- and plan on doing it again within the year to buy a new outty 1000

Old 07-05-2013, 10:33 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Not many SXS around here.
The trails are just to narrow in spots for them. We went on a ride with one of those clumsy big sxs and they guy had to park it and get on the back with one of us because there where trees only 50" apart that the ATV could just squeeze through.

By the time the trails are wide enough for the things you might as well just buy a nice used jeep that can drive itself home afterwards.
My Cousin bought this mint shape jeep for less then a new 700 Rhino cost. Unlike a Rhino he has a stereo ,windshield wipers , heater and a 6 clyinder. He can take off the roof,doors and fold the windshield down for that open feeling.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Not in the same class of course, but I've noticed an increase of interest in golf carts the last 5 years. If you have an older one that's not been abused you can get close to what you paid for it.

As to ATV's, it was bad enough paying $4-5,000 back in the late 90's when I bought my last/current ride, let alone paying close to double that now. Just depends on what you are going to use it for and how much use it will get doing it is what would be a deciding factor for me. Just the occasional trail ride 3-5 times out of the year doesn't warrant thinking of spending that kind of money when there's nothing wrong with what I have to begin with.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:30 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I find the prices have dropped on ATVs. My dad bought a new 1997 500 Sportsman for $7000 Canadian in 1998.
My friend just bought a new 800 Sportsman for $7000 and told me the 500s where going for $5800 now.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around here, there always seems to be more quads. Because it's farm country, you can buy Honda Ranchers in fleets for great deals if you own a big farm. At my local Honda dealer, there are like 20 of them sitting out front always and they never stay there for long. Some of the smaller farms use SxS rigs, but most farms use atvs since they are cheaper. Even out on the trail I see more utility atvs than anything else, compared to full size 4x4s, dirt bikes, sport quads, and SxS. I can see why too, atvs are much more fun and there are a wide variety of atv trails to choose from that the SxS just wont fit down.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where I ride ATVs outnumber SxSs something like 50 to 1. The RZR is the only one that will fit down the trails.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:23 AM
Quad Patrol
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Old 08-12-2013, 06:24 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
the off roading sport in general is (has been) taking off-
still see way more atv's (newer ones) then sxs's around here.
really depends of where you live and trail access.
10 years ago- I'd have told you that you're nuts if you spend $8k on a new atv-
now, I didn't think twice about dropping $7k down payment on a new outlander 800 max xt and signing a note for the other $6k- and plan on doing it again within the year to buy a new outty 1000
well- I did it... I sold the 800 and bought a new 2013 outlander 1000 max xt

ok- so it was a little less then a year

Quick Reply: are atv's making a comeback????