General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Fuel treatment

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 03:34 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Frank, I have seen adds for seafoam. Impressions and recommended with or over Stabil? Also is the marine version of Stabil better than the regular stuff?

Just out of curiosity, what about Fuel Injection systems?
I have EFI and the combination of STA-BIL and SeaFoam seems to work quite well as it did without the SeaFoam. I figure it won't hurt to have double protection and they don't seem to cancel each other out. When I run out I'll probably get Marine STA-BIL on OPT's recommendation. I haven't tried SeaFoam alone but may give that a try too.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by quadsr4me
Virginia and the neighboring areas have twice as many ethanol free stations as Texas does.. Doesn't seem right since we have a whole lot of refining going on down here,but again we have a whole lot of highways too. Long ones..

Old 04-22-2015, 06:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Virginia and the neighboring areas have twice as many ethanol free stations as Texas does.. Doesn't seem right since we have a whole lot of refining going on down here,but again we have a whole lot of highways too. Long ones..
I'm guessing it's because of the marine industry out there. Lots of in/offshore fishing/crabbing operations and ports that want to avoid ethanol. We landlocked states are SOL, which is why I don't try to fight ethanol anymore. It's not going anywhere. Just take some basic precautions and so far been lucky.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

thanks for the link. Unfortunately I live along the I-95 corridor and it looks at fist glance that I am at least 50 miles from the nearest one. But thanks anyway, it may be worth it just to not have to keep cleaning carbs

Old 04-22-2015, 07:47 PM
Range Rover

Ever tried fogging your carbs?

Old 04-23-2015, 07:22 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Anybody find anything that really works to stabilize the fuel? I've tried Stabil and a handful of others. They all turn to goo over time. My experience has been poor with Stabil. But really all of them have been bad. The only thing that has worked with any consistency is to turn off the fuel and run the carb out of gas. Then when you want to ride again, I stand on the machine and wiggle side to side to mix the fuel again. Unfortunately, I waited more than a day to run it out of gas once when my son borrowed the keys, and once again I find muself pulling the carb and cleaning it. There has to be a better way... Any thoughts?
I run out the fuel on all my small engines with a petcock valve but my mower doesn't have one. It starts a lot easier in the spring if I use Stabil.

When I add it to my portable fuel tanks, I pour it out after about 12 months...but that's twice as long as I'd want to store it without Stabil. Can't say I've ever notice any of my engines running rough. Seems to work as intended for fuel storage. That's all I really use it for.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry, not familiar with fogging?

Old 04-23-2015, 09:32 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here is a good storage video, he fog/oil the carbs last. Its a Sled not ATV but its the same thing.

When you use fogging oil it does both the motor and carbs at once.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:46 PM
Range Rover

Technically fogging is for the cylinders but it's introduced through the throat of the carbs. Will mix with the gas in the bowl to provide some lubrication and doesn't evaporate. Would still need to use some sort of fuel treatment but has worked for me for years on my boat and haven't had to clean the carb once. Downside is, if your carb is hard to get to then might as well drain the bowl.

Another thought though...when you used stabil in the past, did you run your engine for a good 5 or so minutes to get all the treated gas through the lines and the carb?

Old 04-24-2015, 07:13 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, in fact I mix it in regularly into every tankful because it may be a few weeks in between rides, but I mix to MFG specs, and I take it generally people recommend a higher concentration. What I have experienced other than it not adequately working, is that occasionally I get a green slime which the dealer attributed to the corn products being left behind when the fuel evaporates. I have also had the white powder others have noticed in the carb bowls. Both conditions require carb rebuilds, which if you are paying for them, will run you minimum of a couple hundred bucks each time. You do that a couple times per year on multiple quads and it gets costly. Multiply that times the lawn mowers, yard tractors, generators etc... and it is like I am constantly cleaning carbs. Ive tried other products, although I have not tried Sea foam, and I understand a lot of guys love it. Anyway, I have not had satisfactory results with the Stabil. I'll give the marine version a shot, at increased amounts and see if it helps. But truely the drain the bowl trick has had the best results so far. Getting mixed messages on the full tank versus almost empty. I understand the empty allows you to put in fresh fuel when breaking them out the next season... but I use most of my stuff year round, and rarely will use a full fuel tank's worth of gas. So generally it will be somewhere in between for the most part and I haven't really paid close attention to it. I do shake the crap out of the machine prior to turning on the gas though to mix up the corn crap and gas before starting. But that only goes so far too, and I may or may not always have a fresh can of gas to dump in every time. I think the real answer is going to be compleatly emptying out the tank and carbs after every use if it will be some time like a month or more in-between use.

Quick Reply: Fuel treatment