General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Fuel treatment

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:23 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you usually get your gas at the same pumps? Gas stations with less traffic through them don't get new batches as often as, say, a trucker stop, so the gas may already be going stale before you even fill up your gas container. Otherwise, I agree that marine version of stabil might be a good thing to try next.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Nah not a problem around here. This is big city, big commuter area to DC, where stations are dumping fuel every 2 to 3 days. I don't think fuel being stale around here is ever a problem. Now sitting in my shed... yeah, but I usually dump that into my vehicle way before it gets more than maybe a month old out of habit so the gas doesn't get old.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:40 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I prepped my quad for winter I put the sta-bil and seafoam in and ran it for 5 minutes or a little more and left the tank full. That's all I ever do. My original battery is dieing so I had to pull start it to plow snow. It took a few pulls to fire up and ran great. If I went out and gave it a few pulls I have no doubt it would still run fine and the gas is getting close to half a year old. Double dosing the sta-bil always works for me.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay in response. When added to fresh gas STA-BILŽ is guaranteed to keep fuel fresh for at least 12 months. When there is an issue, it is more than likely related to the fuel that STA-BILŽ was added to. Since today's ethanol blended gas can begin to break down in as little as 30 days, you want to be sure to add a stabilizer as soon as you get the gas. If the gas station that the gas was purchased from has slow turnover, the gas being purchased may already have began breaking down.

As for draining the fuel, we (along with experts in multiple industries) recommend you avoid that practice. The best practice is to top of the tank with fresh fuel, add a fuel stabilizer/ethanol treatment and then run the equipment for 5-10 minutes to ensure the whole system is treated. This ensures the fuel will stay fresh and will eliminate as much room as possible for condensation to cause rust & corrosion.

If anyone has any questions/comments please feel free to reach out.

Have a great day!

Old 04-28-2015, 10:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by STA-BILŽ

As for draining the fuel, we (along with experts in multiple industries) recommend you avoid that practice. The best practice is to top of the tank with fresh fuel, add a fuel stabilizer/ethanol treatment and then run the equipment for 5-10 minutes to ensure the whole system is treated. This ensures the fuel will stay fresh and will eliminate as much room as possible for condensation to cause rust & corrosion.
Absolutely!

Old 04-28-2015, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Cool thanks

Old 04-28-2015, 04:04 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use sta-bil in my lawnmower too and started it up today for the first time this year. It doesn't have a primer and never starts on the first pull like my old mower. It fired up on the third pull and worked like a charm. It gets relatively fresh gas the next time I mow.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I use sta-bil in my lawnmower too and started it up today for the first time this year. It doesn't have a primer and never starts on the first pull like my old mower. It fired up on the third pull and worked like a charm. It gets relatively fresh gas the next time I mow.
Glad to hear the lawnmower is running well! Keeping the fuel system clean will go a long way in extending the life of that mower (and help prevent some headaches).

Have a great day!