General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

ATV painting

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 10:17 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV painting

I purchase an older kodiak 400. The plastic was heavily oxidized. I got most the the oxidation removed. But the plastic is orange. It might have been pumpkin orange when new but I was thinking red. Should I leave it or try sanding on it and using plastic spray paint?
thanks for the help

Old 04-08-2016, 12:13 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the color even or does it have light and dark spots? If it's spotty I would paint it. If it's not maybe you can get used to it.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If you want it to look like new I'd take the plastics off, hang them where things can't fall or fly on them, and hit them up with Krylon Fusion. Pretty easy to use and color stays on very well.

If you don't care, just ride it!!!

Old 04-08-2016, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

Remove all plastic, prime and paint the bottom side with truck bed liner, then paint top any color.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

One thing to consider is local laws about the required stickers.
Here in Ontario in places where it is legal to run on the roads or road shoulders all original stickers must be in place.
Painting without reapplying the stickers can lead to expensive charges.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wendal, do a search for a post I made titled "To paint or not to paint". It might have some useful information. The paint job has held up well and still looks brand new. Keep in mind, that I do not ride through brush or branches, but I do ride all types of terrain. Personally, I would not use anything from a spray can, but that is easy for me to say since I used to be a painter by trade and continue to jobs now and then.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:11 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had one quad that came painted from the factory. It was metallic blue paint over blue plastic but not the same shade of blue. Polaris bragged about how many times more durable the paint was than plastic. I ended up scraping some paint off anyway. But if you don't like the color you can paint it and try to avoid scratching it.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:35 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Try this stuff. ATV and UTV Kits A friend of mine used it and its tuff and looks good.

Here is a pic of the finished deal.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Canwoodsman
One thing to consider is local laws about the required stickers.
Here in Ontario in places where it is legal to run on the roads or road shoulders all original stickers must be in place.
Painting without reapplying the stickers can lead to expensive charges.

If the mfgr is still in business, here in the USA they need to replace any safey sticker on the ATV. Laws require mfgr to make them availiable to new owners. Very similar to gun mfgrs that must make owners manuals availiable to buyers of used guns. Not saying they are free but must be made availiable if still in business. Can't say about Canada.....

Old 04-09-2016, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

i used a plastic spray paint on mine u can see my profile pic

Quick Reply: ATV painting