General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Do the best cars come from the U.S. now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016 | 09:38 AM
Range Rover

Sure is a lot of anti Chinese sentiment on this forum. I remember when the first Toyotas were showing up in the US, the first Hondas, the first cars from Korea. It was great for early adopters, keeping prices low. Quite a few years passed before people started to realize Japanese cars were not only as good as American cars but better. Just recently Korean cars are being recognized as good value after 20 some years of imports.

Do not buy Chinese ATVs, it keeps the price lower for those of us who like them. When Lifan starts exporting cars to the US I'll be first in line to buy one.

Old 04-25-2016 | 09:53 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

If you've recently bought a chinese atv, then you wouldn't understand the negativity. If you purchased one 6 years ago, then you'd agree.

Back then, if you weren't sure you, or the kids, would like an atv, it was a good alternative to paying a lot of money for a name brand. But it also turned a lot of people away because they were breaking as soon as they got home, had no parts support and no guarantee that the brand you bought would even be in business the next week.

I have seen firsthand the poor quality they have put out in the past.

Old 04-25-2016 | 11:51 AM
|
Trailblazer

Scooter,

Don't be fooled by the Chinese propaganda. Working conditions are just as bad in chinese sweatshops as they were 20 years ago and the quality of parts, especially those sold directly from Chinese companies are still appalling, dangerous and usually unsafe. While korea, Japan and Taiwan continued to make their workers happier and their products of better quality, the Chinese have done just the opposite.

Old 04-25-2016 | 11:56 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

One of the members on the site here went to china and spent some time at a factory that made atv's. Well, they were actually a washing machine manufacturer. But they all use bolts, so same thing.

He said they have no quality control issues as they have no quality control.

Old 04-25-2016 | 02:56 PM
Range Rover

Anecdotal evidence only so not worth much. My Taotao 250 is 9 years old and gets used a lot, averaged 2.3 hours per day down in Arizona last winter. Only problem we had was trying to figure out how to tow my friend's Polaris Ranger with it when the Ranger died and wouldn't restart. If Polaris is any indicator of American car quality, it's got a long way to go. I really did enjoy riding in my friend's Slingshot though! Good fun but not impressed by fit and finish.

Old 04-25-2016 | 07:13 PM
|
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by scootergptx
One of the members on the site here went to china and spent some time at a factory that made atv's. Well, they were actually a washing machine manufacturer. But they all use bolts, so same thing.

He said they have no quality control issues as they have no quality control.
Haha, well there you go. I feel for those who are suckered in by the price tag

Old 05-02-2016 | 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

In response to the posters original question.....show me a car that is "American made" ???? I know of many that use American labor but I do not know of any that are at least 60% produced and assembled in the US. Actually Honda by the last reports were the most "United States" production vehicle made, meaning that at least 51% of all the components were produced and assembled in the US. Now if you want to count electric cars then Tesla would be top of the list, however our government is fighting them tooth and nail as they make their own batteries unlike the so called US mfgrs that purchase their batteries from the US government battery facility, supported by the US tax payer.

Old 05-03-2016 | 08:25 AM
|
Trailblazer

Imagine how misinformed people would be if I didn't do their research lol

15 Most American-Made Cars on the Road in 2015

Old 05-03-2016 | 01:25 PM
Moto Psycho

Thanks Asaran. You saved me the trouble of looking that up. I remembered one other problem I had with my truck. The starter went out so that's 3 things wrong in 16 years. Still not too bad. BTW this truck and the old one were both made in Pontiac, Michigan and I used to work with some of the people there when we were at Grand Blanc. My best friend and some other ex-coworkers build Chevy and GMC trucks in Flint. Most of the parts are made other places in the US. When I had a Dodge van it was made in Canada as a lot of Chrysler products still are. I won't buy another one of those.