New member needs winch advice - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Default New member needs winch advice

Hi folksI just bought a 2011 Polaris Ranger 400. It came with a plow but I didn't get the winch or mount. Can I operate the plow with a receiver mounted winch or do I have to permanently mount it recessed into the grill?
I have been looking at winches on Amazon. Are there any suggestions on winches that I would want to stay away from?
Thanks,
Bumk229
Old 11-20-2016, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Most the mounts I saw are regular winch mounts. Warn, and Superwinch make good winches. A lot of times stores like Cabela's will sell a rebranded Warn or Superwinch. Viper also makes good winches. One thing I know from personal experience is Warn winches are generally excellent and if you do have an issue they have great customer service.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

If you don't have a mount then you need to decide on a mount before buying a winch. Some plow mounts are manually operated and some require a winch or other powered lift mechanism. Fot 16 years I used a manual plow lift kit and had no issues with it and I was 60 yrs old. Now I have a 72" blade on my UTV, plow is much to heavy to use a manual lift so I had to go with a winch but the manual was so much easier! Depending on which mount you get will depend on whether a frame or receiver mount will be needed if you choose a power lift model.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

Any branded would do the job perfectly, just stay away from some Chinese knock offs that are seems good but will not last long.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

I think you need to figure out what brand of plow you have, and buy the appropriate mount.. BTW Polaris bought Cycle Country. I had the Polaris dealer install one on my Arctic Cat 400 and installed a new Warn winch.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:14 AM
Trailblazer

I don't know much about SXS but as far as winches go my opinion Warn are overpriced! Have one now & has been nothing but issues I had a Superwinch on my old ATV & was trouble free for years
Old 01-01-2017, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

You can get a "bad" one no matter who's name is on it, however I am like you and believe warn is overpriced. I always recommend a brand name where you can get repairs and replacement parts and stay away from the Chinese imports. I use a KFI and have had no issues and it is half price of a warn.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey,

If you want to get winch you should look for certain things. You can check out this site to get the good idea by select best atv winch for 2017.

Best ATV Winch ? Guide & Reviews
Old 01-15-2017, 03:23 PM
Moto Psycho

I heard on the forum that Ramsey was good too but I don't know anyone who has one. I have no idea what kind of mounts are available for them.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:42 AM
Super Quad Patrol

their is a company down in your area that sells runava winches. I use them on all my machines and they are great. Had 1 issue in 3 years with a bad bearing and they shipped me a whole new housing instead of just the bearing that i asked for.. They use a standard warn winch mount pattern