General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Need buddy/friend over 50 for up north michigan trail riding companion

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 02:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Ya to bad all clubs are not the same. Pur club mostly rides in small groups of 2-6 people. Everyone has their own riding preference so we do not force people to go on club rides.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really enjoy a good mix of riding with hill climbs, quick tight trails through woods, sand/mud and gravel pits. It's a good day when out doing 4 hr. ride then resting/relaxing at a restaurant/bar/diner in one of the many places up there, then head back not always the same way to get dinner and camp ready for the evening with a good healthy roaring campfire and then It's a good time to exchange past trips especially with someone you've just met! If up for 2-3 days or more it's a good break to pick up camp after a day or two and set up at another atv campground, many right on the lake!

Old 04-26-2018, 06:24 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of my friends still works for GM just a few miles from me here in Flint. He usually gets 2 weeks off for changeover. One week is the 4th of July and the other is the week before that, or else the week after. One time I think he only got 1 week off, and another time he got 3 weeks off. We're up by Mio the whole time, riding some days and just relaxing on others. Or I'm sitting in front of the fire pit relaxing, while he's working on something and can't use any help.

We normally go there Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend, and maybe a few other times. On the 3-day weekends he takes Friday and the following Tuesday off if he can, so they're 5-day weekends. He works second shift and more often than not leaves right after work Thursday night. His wife may go with him or drive up by herself whenever, and I leave when I get around to it on Friday. Then instead of going home Tuesday, we wait until Wednesday. If his wife drove by herself she's gone or almost ready to leave when I get up. I leave when I'm done packing, then he drives 2+ hours to work.

2 weeks for the 4th of July is more like 19 days. His boys each go if they can get any time off work. One guy we used to work with goes whenever he can too, but he's into scouting and other things that take up most of his time. The old man of the group sold his quads so he and his girlfriend won't be going anymore. A lot of times there are 4 or less of us riding. I'm the only one who doesn't have a work schedule to deal with, so there's no telling who can go when.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

My son just put in for the first weekend in may for a 3 day trip, St Helen to Mio with Clear lake (inbetween) for rest, food and gas up. Hope weather cooperates! lol This will be first time up of the year.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:22 AM
Moto Psycho

Good luck. Since they connected so many of the trails, I think you can go from trail to trail all the way from Leota to just west of downtown Oscoda. If you could go 2 miles farther you'd be on the shore of Lake Huron. It would be hundreds of miles there and back and you'd need a trailer full of gas and gear.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

The weather is finally getting warmer for the northern part of the state where most of our trails are! Planning a trip up with my son for a long weekend, next weekend where temps are going to be in the 70+ for great ride! Its hard for him to get away that often, so I'm hoping to meet someone closer my age and interests for 2 day or more camping and trail ride up north! Email for more info. steve.grinke@gmail.com
Thanks Steve

Old 07-24-2018, 07:40 AM
Pro Rider

Still here! Summer days here in the northern part of the state don't last that long! Right now is perfect riding conditions with cooler nights slowly creeping in.
My son and I will be going up this weekend but its been nearly 2 months since our last trip up and after our next trip it could be quite some time before he'll be able to get more time off work.
If you know anyone that might like a few days out up north to do a trip to ride please get in touch real soon! Thanks Steve

Old 08-13-2018, 01:22 AM
Moto Psycho

I went up July 2nd. It took me until then to get ready. I had to wait while a new lock was on order for my truck cap. It broke and I had to take everything out of the truck, then load it up again after I put the new lock on. Of course it had to be the hottest day of the year so far when I was outside, working in direct sunlight. One of my quad tires that held air since last year went completely flat on the trailer on the way up. WTF? It didn't rain near Mio for several weeks in a row. It was so dusty that we followed a lot farther back than usual the times that we did ride a little bit. 2 weeks later I came home on a Monday to mow my (crispy) lawn and do a few loads of laundry. I thought I was going back Tuesday, Wednesday morning at the latest. But before I could go back I got a new trailer tire and had to fix some other things. The service engine soon light came on when I was finally on my way back Thursday and I had to turn around and come home again. I got that looked at but not fixed yet, and when I left the repair shop, my window wouldn't roll up. I left most of my stuff in the truck, got that fixed and went back up north late Friday. I went into town to get something to eat for dinner and had a flat tire when I got back to camp. ARRRH!

It rained almost every day and night for the rest of the month so we didn't do much riding then either. We finally got the only actual trail ride of the whole month in on the last Saturday, before we all started packing to come back home. Some of the guys had to get back to work right away but I was up there until the 30th. I don't even know how one of the rear-view mirrors on my truck broke, seemingly while I was parked, but I have it held on with re-bar wire and electrical tape for now. So, after getting a truck tire fixed, buying new 3 trailer tires and 4 new ATV tires, I still need to get a couple of things on the truck fixed. I may have my stuff together by Labor Day weekend. I sure hope so. A bad day up north is still better than a good day in the ghetto. And just so you know, the Pink Store is closed and looks like it has been for awhile. The sign said gas was $2.85/gallon there when it went up to $3.09 for the holiday in town. I thought it opened up for a while when I saw cars there before, but I guess not.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I went up July 2nd. It took me until then to get ready. I had to wait while a new lock was on order for my truck cap. It broke and I had to take everything out of the truck, then load it up again after I put the new lock on. Of course it had to be the hottest day of the year so far when I was outside, working in direct sunlight. One of my quad tires that held air since last year went completely flat on the trailer on the way up. WTF? It didn't rain near Mio for several weeks in a row. It was so dusty that we followed a lot farther back than usual the times that we did ride a little bit. 2 weeks later I came home on a Monday to mow my (crispy) lawn and do a few loads of laundry. I thought I was going back Tuesday, Wednesday morning at the latest. But before I could go back I got a new trailer tire and had to fix some other things. The service engine soon light came on when I was finally on my way back Thursday and I had to turn around and come home again. I got that looked at but not fixed yet, and when I left the repair shop, my window wouldn't roll up. I left most of my stuff in the truck, got that fixed and went back up north late Friday. I went into town to get something to eat for dinner and had a flat tire when I got back to camp. ARRRH!

It rained almost every day and night for the rest of the month so we didn't do much riding then either. We finally got the only actual trail ride of the whole month in on the last Saturday, before we all started packing to come back home. Some of the guys had to get back to work right away but I was up there until the 30th. I don't even know how one of the rear-view mirrors on my truck broke, seemingly while I was parked, but I have it held on with re-bar wire and electrical tape for now. So, after getting a truck tire fixed, buying new 3 trailer tires and 4 new ATV tires, I still need to get a couple of things on the truck fixed. I may have my stuff together by Labor Day weekend. I sure hope so. A bad day up north is still better than a good day in the ghetto. And just so you know, the Pink Store is closed and looks like it has been for awhile. The sign said gas was $2.85/gallon there when it went up to $3.09 for the holiday in town. I thought it opened up for a while when I saw cars there before, but I guess not.
Well you bad luck certainly ran its course...you should have nothing but food luck for a while. Once the wife recovers from her back surgery I will be ready to join you!

Old 08-13-2018, 11:39 PM
Moto Psycho

Bad luck is like bad weather. When it rains it pours.

Quick Reply: Need buddy/friend over 50 for up north michigan trail riding companion