General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

How to Cross a BIG Washout

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 08:12 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to Cross a BIG Washout

My friends and I are planning some interesting rides this summer here in Colorado. They talk about trails with huge washouts. One friend talks about flipping his ATV over backwards climbing out of a big washout.

Imagine a washout that is 3 feet deep with a steep sided "V". The beginning of the Grand Canyon I suppose. Imagine you came across this washout while climbing a 7% grade. What is the correct way to traverse such a BIG washout?

I think I would approach it at an angle, drop a front tire in the thing, hope that front tire can bite and start to climb the other side, and hope the machine doesn't roll as the other front tire hits the bottom of the washout or flip backwards as I give it enough power to climb out of the washout as the machine is now at a steep upward angle. I would be in 4wd and low range of course. My ATV has 4 wheel independent suspension and 26" diameter tires.

Wanting some tips, dos and don'ts in this type of situation.

Thanks

David

Old 05-05-2018, 09:35 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

iv done some big wash deactivation 10-20 ft deep and almost strait down and back up. Safest way is use your winches going in have someone behind hold you back with a winch as your going in or hook a rope to the machine and have a few of the riders hold back as well as one follow down just in case the rear starts lifting. Going in do not use front brakes use rear only. Getting out same thing use your winch you help you out and keep the front end planted. Do not panic and spike your brakes this is when things go bad especially when your getting to the bottom.
If they are really steep use 2 winch lines in case something fails on one of the winches. always be prepared to bail to the opposite side of trouble if possible and try to keep spotters close make sure you wear a helmet, a chest protector would be good as well even if you have to share but not necessary. A well placed rock during a bad situation can ruin your life pretty quick. I ride with a Jacket with built in spine protection cheep insurance to make sure i can walk at the end of the day

Old 05-05-2018, 11:16 AM
Back Country Explorer

Thanks Zrock: I hadn't thought of using our winch lines to retard the machine going down and then help pull out on the other side. I agree that hitting the brakes will simply initiate a slide, and using the front brakes will shift weight forward where you don't want it going down a steep angle.

A rookie like me can get into trouble quick. My buddy has been riding for 25 years and never rolled or flipped a machine. That's my goal. 30 hours done with no mishaps and hundreds more to go. The trails can be a real challenge here in Colorado.

David

Old 05-05-2018, 01:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll admit I've been riding for quite a long time and have never encountered such a horrible washout as you decribe. I guess maybe the places I've been to just don't have those type of trails. Or if there were some type of obstacle like that, there was always an alternate, easier route around it. I'll admit I've taken the easier trail many times. If something looks really tough and there is a much easier way around it, I don't see the harm. I'm alone a lot, getting stuck in a tough situation is something I try to avoid. I'll usually go around a mudhole if I don't know how deep it is either. I really haven't fully tested the capabilities of my current atv but from riding similar quads previously, I can pretty much predict what it probably can and cannot do. If and when I replace my stock tires I may get a little more bold too.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Good advice. To add to it. Keep your weight back going into a depression and your weight forward going up and out of it. To the point of laying on your handlebars if needed. As said, some friends holding on to either end of your quad helps too. Winches are a must to me. We've used them many times to get unstuck. Tree strap and ****** block pulley too. I'm a little hesitant about going in at an angle unless it's not too deep. Going in at an angle is asking for a rollover. As much as possible you want the tires to be level with each other.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:16 PM
Back Country Explorer

I also agree about the angle. Our ATVs are designed for steep approach and departure angles, unlike my pickup. I'm use to taking steep inclines (like a steep driveway approach) at an angle in my pickup trying not to drag. I think our ATVs can go down and power back up better without doing it at an angle. Running an ATV on a steep side hill is an excellent way to roll over. They don't have enough tread width.

I also agree I need to go around, or turn around if the obstacle poses danger to me. My buddies are telling me we will traverse some steep washouts this summer and I'm trying to figure out how to do them. Maybe it's part of "technical trail riding". I don't know what "steep" is yet.

We've use our winches to pull machines out of snow, and to pull our machines off big rocks. They are necessary here in Colorado.

David

Old 05-05-2018, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A guy flipped a Jeep Wrangler on one of the steep downhill mountain trails that I ride on. He did a complete end over with his wife in passenger seat! An ATV is very capable, but only the operator, really must decide when to dismount and use the winch. It can keep you from getting killed!

Old 05-06-2018, 12:02 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I don't know what "steep" is yet." My owner's manual and the sticker on my fender say over 25 degrees is too steep. I don't have a problem with going straight up and down hills at that angle, but I avoid side-hilling whenever possible.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:37 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

It all comes down to operator comfort level. I don't care what a persons skill level is if they are uncomfortable in a situation they make mistakes. We have taken alot of new and experienced riders places most people will not go. We know they are not comfortable and we can have a min of 4 spotters if not more to help them through so they are safe. If they are to uncomfortable one of us will take their machine through. I carry a huge pile of safety gear, first aid, full tool set, and communications with me at all times to make sure everyone comes home safe at the end of the day. Im one of those riders with a no fear attitude as well as a few other that ride with us so we go places probably 80% of people would not attempt. Only flopped once and it was a soft flop found a sink hole the hard way that was covered by grass and crap.

It all comes down to Everyone come home safe no matter where you ride..

Old 05-06-2018, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Zrock
Only flopped once and it was a soft flop found a sink hole the hard way that was covered by grass and crap.

It all comes down to Everyone come home safe no matter where you ride..
That's one I haven't had happen. Wouldn't want to be going along at a good clip. We have gotten stuck in deep black soily mud that was covered by innocent looking grass. Winches came in handy.

It's important to ride in your comfort zone. Too many newbies get hurt if they don't ask for help or avoid areas they feel they can't do. Get off your quad and watch how your buddies do it to learn.

Quick Reply: How to Cross a BIG Washout