DIY ATV Bridge Quick Assemble/Disassemble - Page 3 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Go Back  ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community > ATV Community > General Chat
Reload this Page >

DIY ATV Bridge Quick Assemble/Disassemble

General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

DIY ATV Bridge Quick Assemble/Disassemble

Old 10-05-2018, 09:21 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Alex G. View Post
Kinda figured it was somewhere up there.
I was looking at engineered lumber (normally used internal to structures (enclosed) ) it's quite pricey and heavy. A 18 to 20ft span will easily hit 200lbs for each beam, depending of course on the height of the beam. Steel will break 400lbs. Add in your cross planks and (for me) the cost / time do not equal easy. Especially if your looking for a sturdy enough structure to drive a vehicle across. You stated the government will see it and give you a fine? Are they inspecting your property and the creek regularly? Is the property on both sides of the creek yours?
There are 4-inch steel I-beams that weigh 7.5lbs/ft. So an 18ft span would be 135lbs. It wouldn't be that hard to drag them one at a time, with half the weight resting on the ground.
Also there are aluminum I-beams which have a lot more strength per pound, but they are very pricey.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:43 AM
Super Quad Patrol

Originally Posted by MapleNeil View Post
The creek and both banks are in the right-of-way of the road/trail. It's a former railroad bed that was turned into a recreational trail, with ATV's, cars and trucks and snowmobiles allowed.
Here's what two neighbours did, I suppose if they can get away with it maybe I can too.

Their is your in... if its just off a atv trail get the local atv club involved they have the resources to get a it done and Call it a rest area... If the creek is in the right of way i would be leary of just doing something as the fine could far outweigh the cost of doing it with a permit... Pretty sure permits don't cost a thing at least where i live they don't as i pull permits on a regular bassis.. Just a thought

Old 10-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

There are 4-inch steel I-beams that weigh 7.5lbs/ft. So an 18ft span would be 135lbs. It wouldn't be that hard to drag them one at a time, with half the weight resting on the ground.
Also there are aluminum I-beams which have a lot more strength per pound, but they are very pricey.
www.saginawpip.com/steel-i-beams.htm
Alrighty... good luck, here is a place that I found... 4x4 is 13 per foot.
Regardless is it's 13 or 7.5, it's still a lot of weight to be tossing around.
And if it where me, and I was using steel. I'd be looking at a permanent solution, especially if your going to put 2 4" I-beams together to go under each tire and drive a car/truck across it...

Old 10-06-2018, 09:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

How would a car or truck fit on that trail? Clearly doesn't look wide enough. It looks like a pretty solid solution for building a bridge though.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

So, what direction is the project going to head in?

Old 10-18-2018, 10:29 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by greg74 View Post
How would a car or truck fit on that trail? Clearly doesn't look wide enough. It looks like a pretty solid solution for building a bridge though.
If two cars meet one of them has to pull over while the other passes. It's more suitable for ATV and snowmobile, although cars are allowed on this particular stretch of the trail.

I found these guys who have some nice lightweight bridges you can roll away:
https://rollingbarge.com/trail-bridge-kits/

Old 10-18-2018, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I like the idea of the logs for the span. Just chop them creatively to look like a beaver cut them down and lay them next to each other....

Old 10-18-2018, 10:07 PM
Frank Flintstone

If two cars meet one of them has to pull over while the other passes. It's more suitable for ATV and snowmobile, although cars are allowed on this particular stretch of the trail.

That's an awful lot of work to do every time you want to cross the creek.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

I don't see the roll away option. But regardless, it's a much better permanent option...

Old 10-19-2018, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer

How hard would it be to get approval to drop 2-4 large culverts in side by side and then dump gravel and rock around them, making a bridge across in the process?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY ATV Bridge Quick Assemble/Disassemble

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: