General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Trail essential gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OutdoorExplorer
Be disruptive with it and yes, the FCC will come down on you. Use it in a manner that doesn't cause any disruption and it'll never be a problem.
Where we ride, no one uses those frequencies. There is no one to cause issues with so the FCC does not care. We simply use the frequencies for what they were intended for....short range comm.
You are supposed to have a license to use GMRS. Any idea how many people go to Wal-Mart, buy a blister pack of radios that have GMRS frequencies, and use them without a license? The FCC doesn't care as long as you aren't disruptive.
No worries. It's your decision to make and I'm not passing judgement. I was just pointing out the issue is all. Last I looked there was no caveat sighting disruptive use vs non-disruptive use.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:18 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The law is still the law whether you get caught breaking it or not. That applies to all laws, even stupid ones.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though I have winch, I still carry a comealong. I did have to use 2 come alongs when I rolled it in a creek. Luckily that was in the backyard. Now I carry comealong just in case something goes wrong, or need to go backwards. I also carry one ****** block to increase my pulling power. I should get 2 more to reverse directions.

So far I have more recovery equipment should carry more tools and first aid.

Also big jug of water, which may one of the most important items.

I have started to carry the battery pack I carry in my truck. Planning on getting small one.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:41 AM
THE BERMINATOR

I quite often have water in one of the powerade bottles in my cooler. If I don't need it to rinse dirt out of my eyes or top off my radiator or anything else, I'll drink it after the ride. I drink mostly water every day and every night at home, but I'm not buying bottled water and I'd rather buy powerade or gatorade than fill all the water bottles I would need. I drink a gallon or two of water most days, depending on how thirsty I get. Multiply that by a few days or a few weeks and it's a lot to haul around.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:14 AM
Trailblazer

I don't haul 2 days worth of water. But I haul a big jug. Not sure why you want to see my waters papers, but mine is from a sand point well.

You break down a hot day or have to work hard to get unstuck or such, you will be glad you have water. Regardless of how much you drink the rest of the day

Old 10-18-2018, 09:27 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

ya those radios are illegal no matter where you are for the most part... But used responsibility you will never have a issue.. iv talked to local conservation about it and they could care less about them.. Look how many truck drivers do not have a valid radio licence.. They are great to have for emergencies.. Out club bought 5 of them.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:56 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Originally Posted by Zerk
I don't haul 2 days worth of water. But I haul a big jug. Not sure why you want to see my waters papers, but mine is from a sand point well.

You break down a hot day or have to work hard to get unstuck or such, you will be glad you have water. Regardless of how much you drink the rest of the day
Who wants to see your water's papers? Not me.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Big Frank
but I'm not buying bottled water and I'd rather buy powerade or gatorade d.
Originally Posted by Big Frank
Who wants to see your water's papers? Not me.
All I said was it was good to carry water.

Actually you should probably stay away from sports drinks, and just drink water. There are some discussion about how bad they are. I dunno, I just don't want all that sugar.

But regardless, bring something to hydrate with when you are riding.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:27 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Yes. Always bring something to keep you hydrated.

Gatorade and Powerade have electrolytes to replace what you can lose when you sweat. I try not to break a sweat if I don't have to and get all the electrolytes I need already so I drink a lot of water. Sports drinks like that are really bad for your teeth but I switched to Powerade Zero with no sugar and no calories. If you drink Gatorade or regular Powerade, etc., you should mix it half and half with water. I don't know how much acid Powerade Zero has in it but it's too sweet. Hopefully there's not enough acid to dissolve the enamel on my teeth since there's no sugar in it being broken down into acid by bacteria in my mouth.

What I was talking about before is that when I load up my truck to go away for a weekend or a month or whatever, I'm not going to fill a bunch of bottles with water to fill up my coolers, and more bottles to take with me. And I'd rather spend my money on Powerade than bottled water, especially when Kroger has quart bottles on sale for 59 cents a few times every summer, and 2 for $1 one time this summer. I also drink water but don't pack much in my cooler when I ride. Since I only drink a cupful of powerade a day when I'm at home, and water the rest of the day, what's in my fridge alone should last the rest of the year. And I probably have enough in my basement to last until sometime next summer, when it should be on sale again.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer

I only go to my camp, which has point well. I do romantic dreams of hunting out of a camper someday, but I like my toilet and bed these day.

Actually what I think I should get is some time of purifier, both my house and camp have a creak. You are right we use lots of water.

I have water back sports drinks. The flavors sometimes get you to drink more. Try a little vodka.

Quick Reply: Trail essential gear