General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Considering new SXS-price negotiation

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 09:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering new SXS-price negotiation

Good morning all,

I’ve never purchased a new ATV/SXS and am curious if dealer prices are negotiable just like they are when buying a new car/pickup? Since auto dealers typically have some “holdback” in their invoice price and will often sell at an amount above invoice, does the same hold true for SXS dealers? Or is it sticker price....take it or leave it?

Thank you in advance!

Old 11-09-2018, 09:35 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

They really do not have a lot of wiggle room on the machines.. They make their money back on parts and service.. If your not in a rush then usually the manufacturers will start their deals soon now that sledding season is coming and year end

Old 11-10-2018, 02:59 AM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe wait until hunting season is over, depending on where you live. When one of my neighbors saw my ATV on the trailer yesterday he asked if I was a hunter. Lots of people use ATVs to haul stuff into the woods and haul a deer out if they get one.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks ZRock and Big Frank. My problem is I need it for this season!

Old 11-10-2018, 03:49 PM
Range Rover

I bought three new machines this year, and almost bought a fourth. Prices are very dependent on where you buy the machine. The dealer I ended up buying all of the machines from is located in the heart of Paiute ATV Trail country, and does about equal business with ATVs and UTVs. Two other dealers that I price shopped with do almost all of their business with UTVs, and hardly sell any ATVs anymore. The two dealers that sell almost all UTVs only had one or two ATVs in stock in their whole store, and did not even want to order one in, or try to locate one for me. They basically told me they weren't interested in my business when I wanted to buy a new Outlander Max Ltd. The dealer that I bought it from discounted the price just short of $1000 from MSRP, and added no extra fees, no shipping cost, and no assembly cost, just tax and license.

When I bought our Maverick X3 XRS I got $1400 off of MSRP from the same dealer, with only tax and license added. The dealer that sells only UTVs wanted another $800 for the same machine.

When I bought my Rzr RS1 I paid $800 less than MSRP, plus tax and license. More importantly, I traded in my 2018 Outlander 1000 XTP for the RS1, and the dealer gave me $11,000 for that ATV on trade. The dealer that sold only UTVs would only give me $8500 for my Outlander 1000 XTP, and wanted more for the RS1 as well. The difference ended up being $3600 more to make the trade at one dealer vs the other dealer.

It is pretty much standard to be able to get near $1000 off MSRP, and not have additional fees beyond tax and license. If you are being charged more than that, go to a different dealer.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:12 PM
THE BERMINATOR

If it's a big dealer they can sell a lot of machines and make up in volume what they're not getting per vehicle. A smaller dealer wouldn't be able to discount them as much and stay in business. Sometimes they'll throw in a free winch and that's it. How many dealers are in the area can make a difference too. If there's no competition in the area there's no incentive for them to cut you a deal.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah a lot depends on location. Dealers around here are fairly competitive in pricing. They advertise sale prices online and in local newspapers to get people in the door. Buying a leftover new model from the previous year is a good way to get a big discount too. Especially if the next year's model is new and improved, the older model will be harder to sell and dealers will have to discount it to get rid of them. Like the Yamaha Wolverine for instance. Now that the X2 and X4 models with the 850 twin are available, the older version with the 708cc single is no longer selling well. If a dealer has any of those left over, expect to get them for well under retail price. Arctic Cat, now Textron, still makes a Wildcat 1000 just like the one that came out in 2012. But the new XX is the one everyone wants, you can get a new Wildcat 1000 for a lot under retail. Its still plenty powerful enough for most but the new and more powerful XX looks more appealing.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the feedback. I’ve found a 2018 Polaris Ranger 500 for $7,499 and am hoping they’ll come off the price at least $500 if not more.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:00 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Is that new? It's already $1,500 under list price, but if it's a dealer selling it they might need to make room for the 2019s.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a bad price. Local dealer was selling Textron Prowler 500's for $7000, basically the same amount of power. Honda Pioneer 500 is in the same price range too. Not many new utvs for less than that. Even the Chinese models cost that much.

Quick Reply: Considering new SXS-price negotiation