General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes

I am new to this forum and have questions. I am looking to buy a chinese atv for my friend who is paralyzed from waist down. All the atvs i see online only state that the hand brake can only adjust the speed down to 5mph. Since the problem is that he can not use his legs at all, can he only operate the atv solo by hand and use just the hand brake to come to a complete stop?. If not, are there any recommendations on what types of chinese atv's he can use.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:42 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Brakes are made to stop the ATV completely, but I wouldn't count on anything working right on a Chinese ATV. Literally anything else I've seen would be better than Chinese, but the brakes should stop it. The front brakes usually have more stopping power than the back brakes. A lot of ATVs only have 1 back brake but 2 front brakes. Plus when you're going fast and hit them hard the ATV pitches forward and has less weight on the back and more on the front and makes the front brakes grab better. But if you hit them too hard going downhill you could go right over the handlebars and get hurt.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:30 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Do your research before you buy.. Their is a lot of decent import machines out their.. Iv never had a issue with them at all.. brakes are brakes hand or foot they will stop the machine but like above fronts will stop you quicker. Make sure you get a machine with hydraulic brakes and not cable operated will be easier to operate and your buddy will appreciate that in the long run