General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

MICHIGAN need riding friend/buddy over 50

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Just got back from a couple days of riding, great to get away for some fun. Jeep pulled the trailer fine but gas mpg stunk with that 7' tall trailer front, made a big wind dam. They rented a cabin in town, worked out quit well, lots of room for 6 people, nice bath and hot shower! Cooked right at cabin and big campfire at night, plenty of parking for multiple truck/ trailer combos and machines as well. Rode about 150 miles total, great scenery, weather was near perfect. Trails close to St Helens were rough but nice when we got more than 5 miles from town. Had a new rider along getting his feet wet, enjoyed the look on his face at his first hill climb and deep water crossing. Think he will be hooked and buying his own quad here shortly. Hope to get back up again before season is over.

Old 08-28-2020, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

MY TURN!! Reservations made for Baldwin, Mi. trails, with son Paul n family!! Their first time there, hoping weather dries up by then some lol Were drowning her today....way too much at one time!! 4'' so far, with more on the way, glad I don't have a basement!! lol
Hope to show them a few Great sights north of town, near Lincoln Hills, Pine river lookout. Hoping its a good warm day and we'll take 5 n cool of with a dip!

Old 11-10-2020, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Did you put away the Little Red Rider for the season? With all this record breaking weather up here? I don't really miss it anymore....a much more of a relief, not worrying about servicing it, guilt with it just sitting, not being ridden, begging/annoying, others/everyone to ride, taking up needed space for things like tractor, and with soooo little use especially for the winter! Also with most trails in horrible condition anymore, and with very little rain here lately, leaving dangerous dusty visibility while riding....so dangerous, ''most of the year''! Well....maybe next year lol, only if they'll start taking better care of the trails, then I might consider getting something else to use for trail travel? Possibly something like a Hyperloop for example....fast, dust free, quiet! Detroit to St Helen 5 min., tops! lol, but for right now with winter at our doorstep, I'm perfectly fine coranteening myself in, until next spring, pulling out my Michael Jordan trading cards, checking values, since I last put them away back in the late 90's lol! Also just installed the plow from the 4x4 to my van, and anxiously waiting for the next big snow storm, along with electric powered snow blower for sidewalks, and larger standby gas powered one for driveway, if needed!
Both grandkids have contracted the covid virus, one that got over it in July, the other just caught it a week ago, and doing better now with only mild conditions ''so far'' for both of them!

If n only if trail's improve ''a lot'', I've been eyeballing a few vehicles here lately....mainly out of boredom I guess lol
First interest is a Jeep wannabee version, or the Mahindra ROXOR. Still its at 3,000#'er which is almost the weight of the Jeep, but possibly small enough to load on/in vehicle. Price is close to that of many 4x4's.​ I like the look!

The other style/option might be another PoPo....Polaris 570 without power steering (tried it out at dealer and felt perfectly fine without the power steering, I wouldn't miss it! not as touchy, sensitive!) ​What I liked about the 570 that I owned in 2019 was the lighter weight. over that of the XP1000, easier to load into van, easier on tight trail cornering/conditions! quicker acceleration, too! and seemed just as fast, since 30-40 on trails is plenty fast enough for anyone with so many hoops, turns, and sudden trail debri conditions and such, here lately! And last but not least, the price, a used 570 w/ a few hundred miles, around 3k, and new around 5G's. I still have a plow for one, and fluids too. Hey what else can a dude do without one....right? Real men need the extra aggravation! lol We'll see, but what I'm thinking with so many wanna be riders buying things this year like rvs, boats, atv's, that have never owned these before, no idea what their getting into, trying to avoid long air travel vaca escapes, that I'm thinking after things open back up, hopefully by next year, these toys will be offered back for sale for pennies on the dollar, flooding the market pluminiting their value to unheard of unbelievable prices!

2021 ''bring it on''!! and never looking back!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-11-2020, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

Still have my red buggy, see no reason to get rid of it, only a few bucks each year for insurance an it is here and ready when I want to use it. 5 yrs, 3000 miles and O issues so why would I want to get rid of it? Besides I still take the dog for a ride around the neighborhood at least once a week and use it for snow plowing when we get snow! Just to much fun to get rid of it. When the ocassion arises to go tral riding I am ready. Havent used my boat in more than 3 yrs and still have that, wife has been sick for past 3 yrs and still have her....
Not a fan of that Roxor, cheaply built from my understanding and limited trail use due to size, no interest to me. Neighbor just put a deposit on a 21 General SxS, so I will have other sxs's to ride with in the future. Grandaughter is doing well as her treatments are done will know for sure in 6 months. Wife is not getting better, trying some new things here shortly to see if she can improve any at all. Otherwise just watching time go by....stay healthy and hope our new leader doesnt lock us up and throw away the key...

Old 12-04-2020, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello there! I'm new to this forum and live in Ohio. I'm looking to do some trail riding and camping up your way. I haven't read all the posts in this thread but have you found your riding buddy yet?

Old 12-05-2020, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Might have my buddy Kymco 450i chime in here if he doesn't mind, from Ohio, he still rides. I just sold my 4x4 and not sure if I'll be getting back riding, we'll see how things go for 2021. Thanks for the reply/offer!

Old 12-05-2020, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum, I am also from Ohio, just s.e. of Toledo. If you have a quad there are a few ridings areas but Ohio has a lot of 50" wide restrictions so there are much less areas for us SxS riders to go to, thus the reason I normally head into Mich where they are more friendly to us atv/utv riders. Wife is partially disabled so I dont get away nearly as much as I would like. Depending on where you are in Ohio, you will have to do some searching on areas to ride close to home. For me, 4hrs north and I have great riding when I can get away.....

Old 12-05-2020, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Welcome to the forum, I am also from Ohio, just s.e. of Toledo. If you have a quad there are a few ridings areas but Ohio has a lot of 50" wide restrictions so there are much less areas for us SxS riders to go to, thus the reason I normally head into Mich where they are more friendly to us atv/utv riders. Wife is partially disabled so I dont get away nearly as much as I would like. Depending on where you are in Ohio, you will have to do some searching on areas to ride close to home. For me, 4hrs north and I have great riding when I can get away.....
I just picked up my ATV today and started my search yesterday for good places. I'm starting to notice what you already know, and that is not many places to even start to compare to that place up North. I'm probably going to do an easy first visit, as weather allows. I'm hoping to be able to drive back somewhere and camp, but I have not checked enough to know if that is allowed or makes sense.

The following users liked this post:
Rich1028 (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Great campground at St Helens, it is a county park and very nice! Not sure about how late they are open, season wise, also not sure about camping in the forrest, Michigan DNR can give you more info on that. Where you at in Ohio?

Old 12-06-2020, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Great campground at St Helens, it is a county park and very nice! Not sure about how late they are open, season wise, also not sure about camping in the forrest, Michigan DNR can give you more info on that. Where you at in Ohio?
I'll look up St. Helens. I've been looking at sites, youtube, etc. to get a feel for what is around me in ever widening circles.

I'm in Vandalia, OH, which is just North of Dayton. I have Kentucky easily accessible to me and I know a few spots that I've backpacked to over old forestry roads, and will start there, but I'll want to explore.

Quick Reply: MICHIGAN need riding friend/buddy over 50