General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

John Deere Gator Vs. Polaris Ranger...which is best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default John Deere Gator Vs. Polaris Ranger...which is best?

What would you say is better...John Deere Gator or Polaris Ranger?????? Oh!...and why?

Old 03-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

RANGER! hands down[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-14-2004, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Lets not forget about the Rhino. Comfort A+ / Utility B / Speed A / And the overall fun factor A+….JMO

Old 03-14-2004, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

The ranger is definetly the way to go i have compared them before and the ranger by far is the best out their. Also they last a super long time!!

Old 03-18-2004, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you want to work one, a HPX Gator hands down. I'm assuming you've seen the the new 4X4 High Performance Gators. The Gators are more work oriented, and are much more heavy duty. I've compared them to Rangers and Mules. The old 4X2 and 6X4 Gators were good machines too, and still are for some jobs. But they are getting a bit left behind due to their old design. The new HPX has full suspension, selectable 4X4, diff lock, high and low range, and just overall a lot of beef. Plus the top speed has been increased to 25mph instead of 18mph. This speed rating allows the HPX to be street legal with just a SMV sign, something neither a Ranger, Mule, or Rhino can do. The Trail Gator HPX comes in olive green and has a sealed belt unit and I think would be a great hunting partner.

Go compare them all and make your decision then. Most folks on boards like this are ATV-influenced and miss out on what a utility machine is for. I used to be that way (still a three-wheeler owner), but as I get older I can see what each type of machine is made for.

Pat

Old 03-18-2004, 10:23 PM
Range Rover

I have a ranger and I can see its a awesome machine. For work and play.

Old 03-19-2004, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st remember that there is NO SUCH THING AS "THE BEST." You have to decide what you need it to do and then check out what each quad will do to compare them. Then check out their reliabilities. We have a kawasaki mule utility vehicle and it does great, although we should have bought a 4x4 (ex-brother-n-law's fault). I have heard that the polaris ranger is very good too, as well as the PUG utility vehicle. I think the rinho is more for the sports side, but I could be wrong.......I have not ridden in one yet. The gator seems like more of a work oriented machine, but to me, it seems very low to the ground and I have heard that there is no suspension on the back end. That is my 2 cents worth.......GOOD LUCK.

PS: Ignore the ones who say their's is the best or bash other machines..........they are not objective opinions and tend to show off their low IQ's. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-19-2004, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nathan, whoa man! I was just trying to stick up for the Gators because few folks around here do. Really, none of the machines out there right now are "bad" machines. It's actually a great time to be a buyer. There are just so many Polaris guys out there, I wanted to give the other side. And obviously the Rhino's are a huge hit.

I have spent some time with the Polaris and Rhino machines and you should compare things like frame thickness, axle shaft size, transaxle size, bed material, etc and you will see that the Gator is a beefier machine. That does not mean that a Ranger or Rhino is bad. Not at all. They all have strengths. I personally see the Ranger's strength as speed, the Rhino's as agility, and the Gator's as shear strength. But to have these, each gives up something else. These are certainly open to debate! It's like the new Kubota. It's awesome, but also very complicated (hydro tranny) and heavy - but a brute workhorse.

The HPX Gators do have a very low center of gravity, so they are quite stable. Put one on a hillside and try to rock it, you won't. The rear does have suspension on the new HPX. The "standard" Gators (4X2, 6X4) do not.

Once again, I say check them all out and test them before you buy. :-)

Old 03-20-2004, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

No problem Nathan.

I'm mainly talking about the new HPX 4x4 Gators, not the older 6X4's. I never was a fan of the chain drive either on the 6X4 machines, but I've never heard of them given trouble either. But definately more to maintain than a shaft or other system. A chain is a very efficient means of transmitting power - look at 150hp sport motorcycles. They never break a chain. The 6X4 is mainly agricultural in use though.

I think as more HPX's get out and around we will all be able to see how they do and get more owner feedback. They've only been out for a few months. I'm hoping maybe some magazine will do a shootout or something in the future so there can be a good comparison out there.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ranger it can pull and carry more so it looks like the ranger has more shear strength then even the diesle 4x4 hpx![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
The diesle 4x4 hpx can only pull 1300, ranger 1500, and carry in bed 900, ranger 1000

Quick Reply: John Deere Gator Vs. Polaris Ranger...which is best?