General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Rhino anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino anyone?

Originally posted by: Jibrille
Originally posted by: BigScary
I'm a Yamaha Polaris Dealer......and I REALLY favor the 05 IRS Ranger over the Rhino BY FAR

the Rhino has more power yes.............but the ranger has more than enough.........and it rides MUCH better.........and is MUCH more stable...........and it seats 3 people......

the rhino is a good bike.......just not the best
I would say the opposite for most, the Ranger couldn't handle any of the mud the Rhino could, and dealt with the rocks a lot rougher then the Rhino also on one of our poker rallies last year.
ranger not go in the mud?.......does your head hurt?????...........and the new IRS Ranger rides MUCH better than the Rhino.....I would assume it would handle the rocks much better than its straight axle precursor...........

blackballed
the IRS Rangers are out and most dealers have them.........I now have my 3rd one........and it will b sold very soon.........

the 700cc ranger is called the XP and it will be a late release unit.....I don't really like the color on that unit.....it is more an army green.......if your dealer didn't goto the Dealer meeting in MN then they may not know about all of the new merchandise..........

but here is an interesting fact that most people don't know.....Polaris is nolonger in the watercraft industry......as of one month ago.......

Old 09-17-2004, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rhino anyone?

[quote]
Originally posted by: BigScary...blackballedthe IRS Rangers are out and most dealers have them.........I now have my 3rd one........and it will b sold very soon....

I realized they were released and selling (with a front shaft weld recall, from what I hear); just specualated how many dealers are telling people about the 700's (uhhhhh, mine aint!).lol! The 500's a great engine and very worthy; yet even though I don't believe in 'waiting' per say...I'd wait for that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

"..the 700cc ranger is called the XP and it will be a late release unit.....I don't really like the color on that unit.....it is more an army green...."

I guess my point is that the design I see availiable 'now' at least; gives me the impression that squeezing any parts redundancy out of their government contracts and pointing to that fact as a buying point to these same people (see the regurgitated military atv version now available to the public and just the overall look of this new Ranger)....seems a little more important 'today', than designing a machine that comfortably seats and catches the eye of even the 'weekend warrior" performance crowd. I'm sorry, but this machine says absolutely nothing about individual comfort over the earlier model and the "army green" is almost appropriate as to overall styling.

I like the new Ranger underneath (where it can be argued is where the 'rubber meets the road') and again will say that you can't go wrong with purchasing one....I'm just not so sure that taking the same 'long-in-the-tooth' route as the Sportsman has continued on; is the way to get people excited in '04 with a competing performance machine already out and not doing all that shabby (<u>especially</u> for a few cosmetic and comfort improvements that wouldn't have broken the bank and maybe even been interchangeable between Grandpa's tastes and his grandson's). By the way, I loved my 2000 Sportsman (even without all the improvements made in '01) and wouldn't trade the experiences we both got through for the world...she's a fine machine.

Just my $.02. These are hard economic times, in the middle of a war and we shouldn't realistically expect much more from these manufacturers coming down from the heady days of the late 90's (with no real historic grasp of this young RUV market to boot). A lot of these decisions have to do with future models, availiable funds and 100 other factors that we will never be privy to.

Old 09-20-2004, 11:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino anyone?

I own a 2004 Yamaha Rhino that we use as a race support vehicle in offroad races. I am experiencing a problem. When the Rhino heats up, it starts to backfire and then turns itself off. Has anyone else had this problem? The way I have to start it after this happens is by pulling the choke out and starting it up then push the choke in gradually for it to catch its breath. I took it to Yamaha and they can not figure it out. They said it was a dirty carb so we redid it and we are still experiecing the same problem. The gas tank has been replaced (recalled) and the cap. If there is anyone out there that is having a similar problem, please email me. twokidzracing@aol.com.

Old 09-21-2004, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rhino anyone?

Originally posted by: Jibrille
I'm a Yamaha Polaris Dealer......and I REALLY favor the 05 IRS Ranger over the Rhino BY FAR

the Rhino has more power yes.............but the ranger has more than enough.........and it rides MUCH better.........and is MUCH more stable...........and it seats 3 people......

the rhino is a good bike.......just not the best
I would say the opposite for most, the Ranger couldn't handle any of the mud the Rhino could, and dealt with the rocks a lot rougher then the Rhino also on one of our poker rallies last year.
ranger not go in the mud?.......does your head hurt?????...........and the new IRS Ranger rides MUCH better than the Rhino.....I would assume it would handle the rocks much better than its straight axle precursor...........
Come to think of it, my head does hurt a little. Though yeah I've got to see both perform at some of our local poker rallies and not even the 4x4 quads could touch it in the mud. It had stock tires, and so did the Ranger, though the quads at all kinds of different tires like Mudzilla and so forth.

Old 09-21-2004, 08:34 PM
eja
Range Rover
Default Rhino anyone?

I thought the Rhino was IRS also

Old 09-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rhino anyone?

Well if the rhino is so bad why does the military use its frame. And other stuff

Old 09-21-2004, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rhino anyone?

Originally posted by: MURDR
Well if the rhino is so bad why does the military use its frame. And other stuff
it isn't a bad machine.......it is a great machine actually........I just like the 05 Ranger 4X4 better.......it is rediculous that we are arguing over such a small margin of difference..........Niether are bad machines.......they are both in the top 2 in their class........IMO

and yes........the rhino is IRS......but the 04 and prior rangers weren't