General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Rhino Rollover

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 05:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino Rollover

Yamaha neds to adress this issue, provide some netting or at least a bar to keep people's legs inside during a tip/roll.

Lawyers like this are already salivating:

http://www.rhinorollovers.com

Old 10-17-2005, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rhino Rollover

I vote that people start taking responsibility for themselves and actions

Old 10-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Pale Rider
With my goldfish shorts swimmin' around my toes.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rhino Rollover

Originally posted by: RacinJason
I vote that people start taking responsibility for themselves and actions
RJ, that's quite a novell concept, I don't think it will catch on though.

Old 10-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default Rhino Rollover

Well, I agree, to a point.

See if that were the case, there would be no safety features, like seat belts, airbags, ABS, etc.
And while I am a big believer in being careful, I am also the son of a trauma surgeon, and the **** I have seen would make your hair fall out.
So, if lawsuits are the only way that make manufacturers build safer products, then that's a shame...

Like I say, I am divided on this one. I hate to see Yamaha pull a machine off the market becuase of too many lawsuits, but I've also scared myself by putting my foot out when I thought I was going to tip over. It's just not something you can tell your brain not to do. And this isn't some lawn maintenance machine like some of the other sidexsides out there, this thing is arguably the most off road oriented of them all.

I wouldn't sue for something like this, it really is a case of something the driver did, either by going on really rough terrain, or by putting their foot out.
But it's such a simple fix for what seems to be the most common way to hurt yourself on this thing (I've heard of at least three broken legs so far, there's got to be a few more) that I'm pissed Yamaha hasn't done anything simple to fix it (like the replacement gas cap, that was simple).

Old 10-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rhino Rollover

Maybe some people need to sell their Rhinos and pick up a safer sport, like underwater basket weaving, LOL. Seriously though, I am sick and tired of lawyers, and the US legal system in general thinking they have to legislate every single minute aspect of our lives.

And I'm not buying that you cannot tell your brain not to stick your foot out either. I competed in rock crawling Jeeps for a period of time, and you need to "tuck and roll" when those go over, so why would a Rhino be any different. I have only had my Rhino for five days, and came within a nat's breadth of rolling it just yesterday. I had it up on just one front tire doing a balancing act, and really thought it was going over on its lid. My son was on the passenger side (the high side) and I yelled for him to NOT jump out, because that would have made a rollover a certainty. I did not stop to remember that he had his seat belt on and that he could not have jumped out if he wanted to, I just didn't want him doing something stupid like trying to bail out halfway through a rollover. But I did remember to "tuck in", just like with Jeep rockcrawling, and it never even occured to me to stick my leg out. Why would I want to do that anyway? Might get a broken leg doing that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer
Default Rhino Rollover

I am trying to tell myself not to do it, and I'm getting better at actively thinking about it, but here's the thing:
How do you train a new passenger? Or someone who is just driving your machine for the first time?
Ain't gonna happen.

Old 10-17-2005, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rhino Rollover

i do think its stupid that people stick their foot out..... but it happens, so that means yamaha has to fix it in order to get away from those stupid law suits. i think yamaha should make something on the rhino to keep peoples feet from sticking out, and that will get rid of everybody's problems. no broken legs.... no law suits.... and happy riding [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-17-2005, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rhino Rollover

Anyone notice that there is a plastic piece that sticks back about four inches from the front of the "door" opening on the passenger side of a Rhino, to help keep the passengers feet inside the vehicle better, and that this same piece of black molded plastic is not on the driver's side? Kind of makes me think Yamaha did do something to help keep people with less Rhino experience (passengers) feet inside the vehicle.

[edit] I think I read somewhere that the aftermarket sells half doors for the Rhino. If someone were concerned they could buy a set. Alternatively, Yamaha could equip the Rhino with them (for a price of course), and people that didn't want them could remove them.

Old 10-17-2005, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer
Default Rhino Rollover

I did notice that, but I wonder if it comes back far enough to make any difference?
Or was it maybe to keep mud and stuff out?
I wonder why only on the passenger side?
Wierd.

Like I said, simple fix to the most common injury causing problem. C'mon Yamaha, just put something there...

Old 10-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rhino Rollover

I could see a nerf style net there...but what about the people that trip and hurt themselves on the nets...what can we do for them?

I don't think we can ever make the world safe for everyone(I'm sure this post will be a contributing factor to my Carpell Tunnnel Syndrome)...alll things come with assumed risks(breaking your leg, crushing a brand new 8000 dollar machine, hurting or killing yourself...or worse someone else)and then there is just crap luck which is a contributing factor for all of us some time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

What we as a population(not anyone inparticular)have forgotten how to do well is asses risk and realize what consequences of these risks are(not the broken leg but the 4-6 weeks off of work, not the fact that you rolled, but the fact that this months repair bill will far exceed the payment on the machine, hurting someone else and having to deal with it

I don't mean to attack your position...I follow what you are saying...These machines could be safer with race style harnesses, better suspension, better roll bars...etc but you crazies would still mess them up...you would still find and exceed the safe limits...its human nature to push...

same as rounding first and heading strait for third[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Rhino Rollover