General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

mini buggy vs honda pilot 400

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 11:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mini buggy vs honda pilot 400

I expect the venom to be delivered any day now. I found out that the venom mamba and the awsome buggies hurricane II are the same buggy, parts can be purchased from both places.

mike

Old 03-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Trailblazer

well, the venom 800cc mamba arrived and because I was approached by my wife and with her hands on her hips she informed me that since it was hers she was going to build it. so im relagated to being her heavy lifter and shes almost done building it and by the way shes doing a good job.

the buggy is the new and improved model with electronic ignition, better trans, bigger tank etc. etc..

ill update this thread after the first test run which will be most likely today.

mike

Old 03-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whew, now that is a woman! I can't wait to here the ride report.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Trailblazer

well, the buggy was finnished by my wife and test driven. ive been a mechanic for over 35 years and been an off road fan since my first trip to glamis in 1969 and ill tell ya what--this venom mamba is very well made.

the first test drive showed me that this buggy should do very well in the dunes, it gets out of "the hole" pretty good and revs well and strong. the motor has some pep even though its "new tight". the mamba is no rocket ship but for the money and what its made for it seems to be well worth the money.

my wife did a great job building the thing with a little heavy lifting help from me and shes already talking a bit of trash about how she will do this year at glamis during our x-mas trip.

the only thing ive found a bit of a drawback is the motor manual and general manual you get with the buggy and upon contacting venom ive been told ill receive a better overal manual.

we are going to our dunes this weekend and ill post the results afterwards.

mike

Old 03-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Trailblazer

I was in touch with venom today and they had to find a new tech. so ill find out about the gear ratio as soon as they contact me.
the book ratios are below for mamba.
1=3.583
2=2.167
3=1.333
4=0.900
rev=3.364

but they were not sure if this was the old or new.
but the new tech will fill me in.

are these different than the older ratios???

UPDATE; the book numbers are the "OLD" ratios, ill find out the new ratios and post them right away.

mike

Old 03-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer

slimefink,
when you talk to him, will you ask them if they sell the updated tranny by itself. If they will, how much and how do I contact them...
I would greatly appreciate it. I think it is the one thing mine is lacking.

Those are the gear ratio's that I have in the Cheetah, and they could definately be lower.

Chris

Old 03-16-2006, 09:43 AM
Trailblazer

newest news, it seems as though im ahead of the curve on the mamba updated buggy. the buggys have arrived before the updated buggy tech manuals. venom motors knows that the new edition buggys have been updated but until they get the new tech manuals they cant give any hard numbers like gear ratios etc..

little things like new gas peddle, larger gas tank, luggage rack and other less noticable improvements are easy to promote but ill have to wait on the tech guys for the other info. ill pass on the info once I receive it.

right now im trying to find a way to mount paddle tires on the thing, any suggestions would be helpfull.

mike

Old 03-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Trailblazer

well, the weather isnt doing us any favors of late but I was able to do some limited testing on the new venom 800cc buggy. after retuning the thing (advance timing-adjust carb-small freeflow air filter etc.) we test drove the buggy and found it to be real peppy and surprisingly strong off the line in first gear. on our rural road the buggy gets through the gears well but id not recomend street use the buggy is not a street car at all.

I am impressed with the overall construction and the way it was shipped and ease of building. my wife just loves the thing and cant wait to get on the sand and hammer down. the buggy is a bit loud and we are considering a performance M/C muffler but for now its hurry up and wait to get out and roost some dunes.

more later after a trip to the sand.

mike

Old 03-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer

the first test day at the dunes has come and gone and now is the time to tell it like it is.

this 800cc venom buggy is not a 50 grand long travil high zoot rocketship, but acording to the one who built it-owns it and pilots it (my wife) the buggy is "more fun than the woman invented vibrator" and you dont have to worry about the batteries running down at the wrong time.

the buggy handles the sand-rough or smooth- very well, it corners great and has the power to go anywhere we wanted to go. it is not a head snapper but surprising in the way it gets around and up the hills. it would make it up "olds" at glamis with relative ease. we were also surprised by the fuel consumption, this buggy gets great gas mileage.

we rode the dunes here in oregon all afternoon and tried to shake any bugs loose but found none. we did all this with the buggy as it comes and without any upgrades such as paddle tires etc..our next trip we will have paddles on the thing and I look forward to seeing more smiles on the wifes face once she starts really hooking up.

now for the new news, I talked to the guys at venom motors and found out that they are offering or are about to offer a turbo kit for the 800cc buggy and its suppose to double the horsepower---wow cant wait.
contact them at www.venommotors.com for more details and phone numbers.

now id like to apologize to the person who started this post, I was e-mailed and "tuned up" for hijacking the thing, all I can say in my defense is I didnt know by adding to a post would upset anyone.

mike

Old 03-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

just a note, the person that "tuned me up" was not the one who started the post, I think they are called "lurkers"???

mike

Quick Reply: mini buggy vs honda pilot 400