General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Test Ride Ranger 700EFI Question/Observation

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Ride Ranger 700EFI Question/Observation

Question?

Yesterday I test rode a 700EFI 4X4 Ranger. Off the line I noticed right off the machine would not allow me to floor the accelerator without some sort of governor kicking in to hinder the engines actual power capability. Once I became accustomed to only halfing the peddle pressure the Ranger would pickup moderately fine. Is my experience normal for all Rangers? It seems stupid to put such a wonderful motor in a machine, then limit its very punch, the very much needed oomph needed to negotiate sandy steep inclines.

I attempted to describe the issue with the sales lady but all I got from her was “well ya know that’s the way it is…” “Whaayd ya think otherwise?”

Well? I think its crap! That’s what I think!

Any thoughts on this issue or did I experience a mechanical acceleration problem?

Old 07-07-2006, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

If you dont plan to haul very heavy loads you will be mor happy with a rhino if you plan to play. the only limiter there is on a rhino is top speed and you can raise that to 55 from 41 just by putting a cdi box in www.everthingoffroad.com

Old 07-08-2006, 03:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

In retrospect, I am wondering if the sales lady inserted a special "speed key" so as to limit the machines ability to run at full throttle?

Old 07-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just got back from the Polaris dealer, I explained the above situation. I re-test drove a different Unit and soon discovered the cause?

Low fuel...

Each unit on the lot has less than one to one half gallon of fuel per unit. When the Ranger's fuel level approaches near the bottum the engine will bog down starving for fuel.

Regards to test driving a Rhino I have done so on two ocassions, one where the dealer had installed 27 inch tall tires and custom wheels, the other where the owner had installed a custom bed, gas can/carriers and spare tire carrier.

The new unit I drove w/ the big tires I thought to be horribly slow off the line as I kept waiting for something to happen as the engine/power train struggled to gain any kind of speed. For me, it reminded me of the idiots of the backyard Jeep world who installed their own 40 inchers, tried heading up a serious climb the next day, only to discover their rigs gearing to be completly inadequate for the task! Oh! Hark!!! More horses does not equate to bigger tires pulling taller mountains!!! Confucius say...

Low Range totally sucked and was nowhere near acceptable in my book.

I test rode a Browning Special Edition Ranger 4X4. Other than the more confortable "Driver position" curtesy the bucket seat, the steering wheel feels morelike an aircraft line mule where it forces the driver to lean forward somewhat, the driver peddles could be spread abit further apart for hunting boots, comfort. The rest of the unit I feel is much stronger more rugged overall. I tested the Rangers suspension by driving over the bump stops very slowly as if I were off road in low range. I discovered the suspension to be almost identical to my 04 Polaris 600 Sportsmen. Very Nice. Overall the unit seems better built, stronger heavier and wider.

Let me speak of wider for a second. I have been involved in many rollovers. having experienced the Rhino with its mushy suspension producing almost what I'd call a stage coach ride caused me concern stability wise. Of course this was a unit very laddened with after market "Stuff"--not a stock unit. Most probably the unit handles fine in stock form. But I personally would be worried about side to side stability in addition to needing the additional wieght carrying capacity the Ranger offers.

The low range on the Ranger is magnificent! Very welcome sight! As I am planning on purchasing Matt-Trakks in the very near future to turn my UTV into a snow cat as well. The Browing Special Edition comes with many bells and whistles as well as other options and accessaries not currently avaible for the Rhino.

So? Looks wise? Rhino rules! Comfort wise? Rhino Rules!

EFI: No, wider stance (wheelbase): No

Can the Ranger squeeze between those pesky very irritating forest service gates? Most probably not. Well the Rhino be able to squeexe through, at times yes.

Am I tired of seeing my good friends end up in the doctors office over these ATV? Yes! Hospital-Hell yes!

Which is why I am selling all of my ATV's an going to one unit.

A Ranger, a Browing Special Edition hunters package.

Stay Safe--watchout for your buddies

Old 07-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

good choice if I could I would get a newer unit then I have (2002) however the one I have has been alot of fun and I can haul the entire family effortlessly (6) including myself in one machine, now show me a rhino that can do that. Note: im not knocking rhinos but I can say they have there limits for what I need. size and function plus I can still have fun.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Unlike many others I read regards these UTVs' I do not plan on performing any performance upgrades. Adding some lighting, a larger automotive battery and some two way communications are all I'll probably do for the immediate future. I have learned my lesson the hard way years ago spending my hard earned dollars on customization via my "81" CJ-5.

It seemed that everytime I performed this, so that I'd be able to this, the that had to be reversed, then that had to be welded in order for the other to clear the ??? For every cause there was an equal effect later. Fix one problem, then another then another crops up. It all equates to pieced together garbage in many cases with a whole lots of $$$ spent.

These days? I need the $$$ just to be able to aford the crappin gas to head out in the boonies and ride my toys!!!

If a guy has the bucks to blow off-go for it! Me? I'm just old and disgruntled

Old 07-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

Good choice Garbinator. Unless your sole purpose in life is sport riding, its pretty hard to choose a Rhino over a Ranger, especially after driving both.