General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Rhino Noise Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rhino Noise Reduction

Looking for some artcle about noise reduction for the Rhino!I read one some were but can't remember where I saw it....I know about mufflers,but I am trying to find something for sound deading...

Old 03-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are noise supressing mats for cars, especially luxury cars. Look sorta like car insulation if you have ever seen it, popular with car stereo guys. I read a post somewhere where the guy lined the inside of his engine cover with the stuff and claimed a huge improvment. Dyna-mat or something along that line it was called. Also snorkeling your intake is said to help as well. I know nothing about either other than what I have read on other forums.
The mechanical "noise" many dislike is music to my ears, I enjoy it.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:03 PM
TPR
The Champ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of the noise is from the aluminum heat shield covering the exhaust. You can get to it with the bed up. Best thing for that is to take it off (Careful with the fasteners cause they can be resused, then take some thin, self adhesive weather stripping and place that on the frame areas the shield touches. Then replace the shield and it should not vibrate or rattle anymore.

Also, I have heard of people painting the rhino liner type stuff you can get at Pep Boys, on the front part of the bed that faces the driver's back. It's metal and a great resonator. Other's have used Dynamat as well though I'm not sure the price difference.

As for the engine cover, Dynamat or other heat shielded insulation will work, and with the snorkeling, you will not have the intake noise but to me that's not a bad sound...

Just look around the machine and be creative.

TPR

Old 03-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dynamat is expensive, I have not tried the rollon bed liner but a lot of stereo guys are using it now to insulate boxes and cars, so I think that I would try it