General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Teryx or Rhino

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teryx or Rhino

I sold my 2004 Prairie 700 a few years ago and now I'm getting the itch again. I really like the side by side. I am tossed between the Teryx and the Rhino. I will be using the macine to plow snow in the winter and do trailing riding in the spring and fall. I haven't ridden either one but from already owning a Kawasaki, I know I didn't care for there 4X4 system. The reason being is if you get stuck in 2 wheel drive, its hard getting four wheel drive to engage because the control module needs to see the wheels turning to engage the unit. I also don't care for there locking differential because even wheen fully locked, I got slippage in the differential. Other then that, I love the V-twin power. The other plus for me with the Kawasaki is I'm friendly with the local Kawi dealer and don't really care for the local Yamaha dealer. Any input comparing these two would be greatly appreciated. Also, will a UTV plow snow better that a big bore ATV?

Old 12-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Teryx or Rhino

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either of these machines. I personally prefer and own a Rhino, but the Kawasaki has a lot of really good features. The reason I go with the Rhino is because the Kawasaki is too big to go where I go as it will not turn as sharply and is wider. Of course some Rhino owners put wheel spacers and bigger tires to make them wider, so wider is not always a bad thing, I just like something that will go about anywhere an ATV will. Both have locking front differentials and the Kawasaki's works incrementally as opposed to the Rhino which is either on or not. I prefer the Yamaha's system, but others may not. Unlike on a Kawasaki ATV, you do not have to hold a lever to keep the front differential locked. There is a good overview of both on You Tube by the guy from ATV TV. While the Kawasaki has more power, it is also heavier, so I don't really know how much better the Kawasaki performs. Being bigger, the Kawasaki has more interior room, but my Rhino has all the room I need unlike the Rzr. If you don't mind a bigger RUV/UTV, you might also check into the Arctic Cat Prowler, but I don't really know much about them.

As to plowing, the Rhino or Kawasaki will move more stuff by virtue of the added weight and traction and if the weight of the machine is not enough, you can put 400 pounds of ballast in the bed.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Trailblazer
Default Teryx or Rhino

I got to sit in a Teryx today. It seemed like I needed a little more leg room. Anyone thats st in both, is the Rhino more comfortable for bigger guys. I'm 5'11" and 235 pounds.