General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

Comparison of side by sides

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparison of side by sides

We live at 10,000 ft and our property is all hills of rock. We have very little dirt. The terrain is very rough. We have trees on the down hill side of our property. We have to be able to bring our logs or fire wood up to the house so we would like to have a side by side that can pull and haul alot of weight. We would also like it for playing. We live in an area that has a lot of areas for playing and exploring. We now own an Artic Cat 650 and a Kawasaki 650. We were looking at the Mule, Teryx, and Rhino. We are a little disappointed with Kawasaki right know because we feel they do not stand behind their product. Can you give some advice on which utv would best fit our needs?

Old 05-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Polaris Ranger strictly for best in class hauling and towing. Not sporty though. Rhino or Teryx for mix of sport riding and utility. Polaris RZR for out and out fun sport riding. Kawasaki Mule is not as good as the Polaris for hauling but is a good utility UTV. Just observations over the years but have not seen a Teryx out there yet.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

There is a reason the Rhino is the #1 selling S+S made and that reason is probably the main one you are looking for!!!! It might not be #1 ina any paticular area but it will do it ALL and do it ALL WELL!!!

Old 03-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Yeah, but a lot of us guys are not into flying anymore. When spending this kind of cash, the workability is much more important than speed. Don't rule out the Kubota if you like diesels. I could however suggest that if this will be sepnding the majority of time working, I'f look at a small tractor instead. I think they are not as sexy, but you get a lot more work out of one with a bucket etc.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was going to run one daily, I'd want a diesel. They stink, they tend to be slow but they'll run forever. For occasional work, I'd want the Ranger HD. JM $.02.

There are a lot of good work/sport hybrids out there. Since you mentioned the two, I'll just say I left the house to buy a Rhino and came home with a Teryx.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Polaris Ranger strictly for best in class hauling and towing. Not sporty though. Rhino or Teryx for mix of sport riding and utility. Polaris RZR for out and out fun sport riding. Kawasaki Mule is not as good as the Polaris for hauling but is a good utility UTV. Just observations over the years but have not seen a Teryx out there yet.
Moose, Polaris would seem pretty sporty in comparison to that Mule they own XP Ranger would be a great machine IMO.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Yeah, but a lot of us guys are not into flying anymore. When spending this kind of cash, the workability is much more important than speed. Don't rule out the Kubota if you like diesels. I could however suggest that if this will be sepnding the majority of time working, I'f look at a small tractor instead. I think they are not as sexy, but you get a lot more work out of one with a bucket etc.
They did say they want to play some.....Kubota is a dog, but extremely high utility. Also big bucks.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, let's take a real look at what he is looking to do here!
While the Kubota is a great utility only vehicle, it is really designed for farm/construction site work and is completely unsuitable for the mountainous uneven terrain he is operating in! i give you 2 hours use in this type envirnment and you won't be able to move for days from the back pain!
You want something with EFI, lots of suspension travel, load bearing and pulling capacity, great all wheel drive and very importantly SMOOTH RIDE! Take it from someone who pulls a LOT of firewood/logs out of some very hilly terain EVERY YEAR, you are sore enough from doing the work envolved with this endeavor much less tearing up your spine with a bone jaring ride back and forth over and over!!
For my money the Ranger Xp or HD are uniquly qualified to handle this task

It really doesn't matter to me what you purchase but if you don't half way enjoy the experiance, it becomes work and how long will you keep doing it