Guns and Ammo, Optics, Accessories Discussions on guns and ammo, optics, and accessories.

Deer hunting rifles

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rem 700 30 06 two deer and a couple of tree hugers in kali just kidding

Old 11-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

i hunt whitetails only. tikka T3 lite .300 win mag nikon 3x9. savage 110 .270 bushnell 4x12. T/C Omega .50 cal leupold 3x9. Hoyt magnatec

Last edited by dlewis; 11-05-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: ?
Old 12-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer

We don't get to use rifles in the Gestapo state of South Chicago a.k.a. Illinois.

I use a .50cal black powder, Traditions Pursuit Pro., the Ruger GP-100 in .357, or shotgun.

I got a nice 11 pointer last gun season with the .50!

Old 12-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer

For around home deer hunting I use a T/C Encore with a 50 Cal. muzzleLoader barrel and a Simmons Atect scope. I am in a Shotgun area only. ( that just means no centerfire rifles for deer)

For my Away trips I have a 25-06 barrel.

For bear hunts I use a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70.

Vamint hunting I will use my Rock Rive AR-15 or my Browning shot gun.

I also do a lot of bow hunting. For that I use an 05 Bow-tech Allegiance.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

as a deer skinner by "sub" trade (married into a meat market fam and was made into a skinner for deer season) have never had a desire to shoot my own. Well after 7 years.. I think next season might be my first. My wife thinks I am crazy but I am ready to get the full experiance. All of your post have had me on full google overload. But for the most part it looks like most of these rifle combos are in the $1000+ dollar range. As a whitetail newbie... with access to a nice hunting ground upstate PA, what would a good rifle/scope combo should I look for in your opinion. Obviously I know how to gut (dumb azzes who ring a whole deer) and how to skin it, but to shoot it... well I am ready for that. I have skinned to many nice racks not to have one of my own.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

If you are not looking to spend $1k on a rifle there are more reasonably priced guns. Take a look at Savage or Howa. Savage has a very nice gun for the money, probably one of the best trigger systems, and is very accurate out of the box. The Howa is basically the same thing as a Weatherby Vanguard for way less money.

As for caliber, that is a question that will get you many answers. For someone who doesn't seem to have much experience, I would recommend the .243. It doesn't have the recoil that some heftier calibers do. The .243 will allow you to concentrate on shooting, not how hard your shoulder is being pounded. Just learn the limitation of the cartridge and your abilities. Practice until you are confident with it and you will do fine.

As far as a scope, look around and ask some guys, they will all have an opinion. I like the Nikon Prostaffs, Leupold (expensive usually), Tasco still makes a few decent ones.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

thanks Dave for your responce.. Speaking of caliber I am not affraid of that. being a vet I ave had my hands around a few with kick and cut my teeth on my grandfathers 12 gauge double... my father and uncle thought it was funny as shix when they told me I had to pull both trigs to shoot it. Not being a small man I can handle the recoil, but still trying to sell the wife on any combo over 1k might be tough. so bring your recomendations.. I have allot of time to shop around.. Furthermore if anyone around Harrisburg PA has a combo they are tired of, give me a PM. thanks again... Rob

Old 12-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Trailblazer

xcitmt

In that case, I really like the .270win. Fast, 3060fps w/Rem Core Lokt 130 PSP. I have a Savage 110, older no accu trigger, with a 4-16x40 target turret, mildot on it. I use it for coyote around here, but it would be a fine deer rifle. At 500yd I have about a 2mil hold over depending on humidity and temp.

Take a look at it here:
Illinois Hunter: The Coyote Rifle
The article is more about the camo job, but I have pics of the rifle. It has since undergone more camo, the barrel and scope are now camo.

Sorry, you got me talking about guns....

Are you looking to buy new or would you rather stay used?

Old 12-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer

I’m originally from the UK now living in Tulsa Oklahoma for the past 3 years, I was lucky enough to move into a neighborhood where my neighbor is an avid hunter, and he’s been showing me the ropes, I now own 3 guns, a Remington 870 20gauge, a Remington 770 - 30-06, love this gun, and a Marlin XL7 - 270, great gun for the price, harvested a nice 8 point buck a couple of weeks back with the Marlin.

Love getting outdoors, kids love coming on hunting trips with us, something I could never do in the UK...

Old 12-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

I was looking to avoid the new market mark-up and go used with scope as a package. Been looking at craigslist, but I think the listing will be a little better after the season. If you know of any rep dealers in the Southern PA ( Harrisburg, PA ) area please share.

Quick Reply: Deer hunting rifles