Guns and Ammo, Optics, Accessories Discussions on guns and ammo, optics, and accessories.

Deer hunting rifles

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Around here, the used market is just about as high as new. The better deals come from person to person. The gun show deals here are usually high.

One word of caution, if you don't have the knowledge, take someone with you that can look the gun over before buying used. I have seen some used guns being sold because the owner new something wasn't right. Check the crown for dings, take the bolt out and examine the bore for pitting, ask the owner questions about the gun, what it was mostly used for, if they have an idea how many rounds have been fired. I buy used as well, I just hate to see someone get a used gun that has issues. Most smith work starts around $75 and goes up quick.

It just occurred to me that we may be hijacking this thread, if you want we could start another on the topic..............

Old 01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Range Rover

My one and only hunting rifle is a winchester Mod70 7mm rem mag dropped into a Maj. Payne sniper stock with the barrel free floated from chamber to muzzle. Optics is a BSA 3x9x40 lighted crosshair scope set in Leopold rings and mounts. Once completed the rifle received a custom paint job to cover the SS barrel. Round of choice is the 149gr soft tip. Its a beast to carry at 8pds but it hit the poor little white tail in WI like a hammer.

Looking forward slapping on the varmit scope and then going California Mojave desert Coyote hunting with the rifle and really put it to the test.

Handgun back-up is my Ruger .44 rem mag or my IMI .45 cal Jerico; however, if I see it in the rifle scope the hand gun is not required. At 200mtrs from the offhand firing position the 7mm hits bowling pins on the first shot every time.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

Upper Michigan whitetail: Marlin 1895 .35 cal w/ Nikon 4-12/50 variable

I hunt thick brush, mixed hardwood ridges and too many swamp edges. Stalk and post and I never take a shot over 40 yards (hence the scope for birdwatching).

Yes, you can stalk whitetail under 40 yds. My 09 kill was an 8 pt with 6" H1 circumferences and 9" G2's. Shot at 18 yards at the end of a stalk. I'd post a lovely picture if I could upload instead of having to link a URL...

Old 05-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by seismic_pirate
Upper Michigan whitetail: Marlin 1895 .35 cal w/ Nikon 4-12/50 variable

I hunt thick brush, mixed hardwood ridges and too many swamp edges. Stalk and post and I never take a shot over 40 yards (hence the scope for birdwatching).

Yes, you can stalk whitetail under 40 yds. My 09 kill was an 8 pt with 6" H1 circumferences and 9" G2's. Shot at 18 yards at the end of a stalk. I'd post a lovely picture if I could upload instead of having to link a URL...
Yes you can get that close to a White tail. The last one I got was in heavy Oak brush next to a corn field I delivered the shot from about 60ft, The 7mm made a huge hole in the ribs but it was down with one shot.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by yardley22
The Model 700 BDL has been the hunter's favorite for 40 years because its strong, smooth action, consistent accuracy, and classic beauty make it an unequaled value.
__________________________________________________ __
Very nice rifle choice, I grew up in the 60's with a WWII 30.06 German Mouser and a very old single barrel 12ga shot gun, We never went without game on the table and the Coyotes lived in fear of trying to run our cattle herds. I went to the 7mm Rem Mag in Alaska and I fell in love with it.

Good Hunting

Edited by mod: removed ad links in quote

Last edited by scootergptx; 09-20-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer
Exclamation

Originally Posted by xcitmt
I was looking to avoid the new market mark-up and go used with scope as a package. Been looking at craigslist, but I think the listing will be a little better after the season. If you know of any rep dealers in the Southern PA ( Harrisburg, PA ) area please share.
I'm an avid pawn shop gun shopper and have come away with some real honeys. Not afraid of buying used at all. Only 4 that I have, I purchased new. All the rest are used. As previously stated, you have to look for one that is in good shape. Like anything, there are used and then there are abused guns out there. Shop and find the good ones, they are out there.

As far as the OP, Browning A-bolt 300WSM redfield 4x12 scope (perfect condition pawn shop find), old old remington 760 gamemaster 30-06 burris 3x9 scope (my dads gun, used to me). Western Slope of CO

Old 11-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer

I hunt in SC. I have a DPMS LR308B and an A-Bolt. My son has a Remington 700.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

My rifle is a Remington model 7400 30-06 carbine satin walnut finish with a bushnell 1x23 illuminated red dot scope. when I see that dot on the target look out target your going to feel a 180 grain.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

Remington 700 in 300 win mag
Wifes......Marling XL7C in 25-06

Old 11-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

My deer rifle is an old school (early 80's) wood/blued Winchester Featherweight in .270. Carries a Leupold Vari X II in 4x12. I can cover 5 shots with a quarter @ 100 yards with in and I've killed many Deer and Antelope with it. I used it for about 10 years with varied success when new, but never had much confidence in it. I took it to a gunsmith who freefloated the barrel, pillared and bedded the action, crowned the barrel and put a decelerator pad on it. I then worked up a pretty fast handload using Barnes 130 grain TSX bullets. After doing all that work to it, and seeing how accurate it had become...it became my favorite rifle and still is! I've got others, but this is my favorite DEER rifle.

Quick Reply: Deer hunting rifles