Help With Forum Software! A Place to get Help with the Forum.

Enough of the Bull Sh** animated ads slowing this site down!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enough of the Bull Sh** animated ads slowing this site down!!!!!

offroadxkitten, welcome to this site. Great to have more Canadians. But I've got to ask, is there really a place in Nova Scotia called On Ur Lap?

Old 03-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

When we deploy the new forum software it will have a low bandwidth setting where all graphics are turned off. This will help folks on dial-up.

Old 03-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

they say its not the ads, but I just logged on and there wasnt near as many ads and its super fast! where did they go ?

Old 03-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

I enjoy this site and appriciate not having to pay to get all the information available here. As for speed, I really don't get in that big a hurry anymore. Matter of fact the last time I was in a really big hurry someone was shooting at me and that was many years ago. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It's nice to know the site managers are on top of things and working to make it better for those having problems.

I vote we give em an "attaboy" and wait for the promised improvments. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Range Rover

Dbeck,

I hardly think that I am putting my foot in my mouth and here is why:

1)I am quite in tune to the internet advertising world. I was the VP of sales and marketing for an internet advertising company for a few years.

2)Your lack of bandwith is directly affected by your streaming video ads. You can not tell me that the bandwith that is taken up to serve streaming video is less than what it takes one of us to download 50 lines of text to find out a solution for our ATV's.

3) Ad agencies pay you so much $$ per CPM which stands for cost per 1000 views of an ad and you may be getting an override for clickthrough rate. You are getting ripped off because they are showing multiple incidences of the same ad at the same time on the same screen. After a certain point your click through rate is not enhanced by the extra ad views. It just drives users away! The ad serving company is stuffing our screens with the same ad over and over again to meet their contractual obligation for number of views. Overserving ads does not buy you anything. You have to have balance between bandwith, ad views and page content. There are a number of ad serving technologies that can be employed to help out. You can have it so that the ads are only showed to people one time in a set time frame. You can also make it so that once an ad has been clicked on it will not be served to the same user again for a set period of time.

4) I am happy to have an open dialogue but I will still call a spade a spade. Earlier today you were serving too many streaming video ads for the available bandwith.

ED

Old 03-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Range Rover

Now you guys are really going too far! I put A T V in my text and all of a sudden there is a hyperlink for another ad. How can you put an ad in my reply?>

Old 03-24-2006, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't noticed a slow down at all but ever since I switch over to DSL and now have had DSL for a year, every place I go to is super fast.

Old 03-25-2006, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

To the people complaining about the ads because you're on dialup:
This isn't 1995. Please get broadband already. That will fix your speed issues. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-25-2006, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

Not true....today it took 1-2 minutes to load a page on verizon dsl in pittsburgh....I could load up anybody else's web page quicker than you can rip a fart..

Old 03-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Trailblazer

How come you dont complain about the commercials on tv, seems from what I have been reading it takes about as long for you to load as a commercial on tv is. Im sure this site is doing all it can to remain a free site, we could all could pay to come here then maybe more bandwidth could be bought.
In my opinion, this is the best site for forums and the best for the ATV community on the web. The only down side to the ads are, theres a Polaris in the 1st ad I see. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Enough of the Bull Sh** animated ads slowing this site down!!!!!