Honda Side by Sides Talk about the resilient Honda Sport and Utility.

Honda to replace Big Red with new Pioneer UTV

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The problem I had was slowing the quad down on a steep two-track trail that had ruts and large rocks that I needed to crawl over. (In this way Utah was like New England trail-wise) If I left it in 1st gear it would act like it's free wheeling until about 15 mph. On every quad I've been on in the last 10 years or so there was at least rear wheel engine braking that let you pick your way down the nasty trails at 3-5 mph.

I did return that to the rental place and used a Rancher IRS with power steering. The gearing was tons better on that machine and allowed you to crawl down steep nasty hills without having to be on the brake. Much better day riding that quad. Even then it was constantly squatting under my admittedly overweight self. No adjustment meant that I couldn't put more pre-load on the springs to make up for my size.

If you think I hate Honda I don't. I just think they could combine their reliability with more features including a 2-seater quad like I have now. My wife doesn't like to drive so when she goes with me I have to have that extra seat available. Adjustable shocks, good on-board storage options, and a 2-seater with more power in an ATV width vehicle might win me over. The Rincon left a sour taste, while the Rancher was average but still better than Honda's flagship quad.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Rancher for the wife. She did not like the idea of being a passenger in the Pioneer all summer. I looked at the Can Am 2 up models but they are as much as I paid for the Pioneer. I do not care what people ride, it just ticks me off when people on forums run their mouths about this brand or that one with nothing but their non fact based opinion guiding them. If there was a perfect ATV or UTV every other company would be out of business.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Don't make me pull this thread over.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:57 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Don't make me pull this thread over.
d'oh! but I was driving the speed limit

Old 02-19-2014, 08:44 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Bottom line is a heavy side by side with only a 3 speed and no low range.
Same 39hp OHV motor and 3 speed tranny as the Rincon and that only has a 850lb tow rating.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

The payload rating on the Pioneer is 1000lbs and the tow rating is 1500lbs. Quit using Rincon numbers for the Pioneer. This is a different machine and is NOT a Rincon. Yes they used the same motor and tranny but it is not exactly the same. The shift points and gearing are different in the trans and the engine has been upgraded with a new intake. Instead of speculation and opinion go ride one. I have the 72in plow on mine and push snow over 18in deep without any strain on the motor. Like I said before I dragged 1300lbs of hay without a strain on the motor. I did loose traction a couple times but the motor/trans had no problem without the low range. that was not on wheels either, it was dragging throw 6in of snow on the ground. I suggest before you critique a machine you get some seat time in it. Otherwise your blowing smoke.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

This thread is destined for the trash.

To all involved, don't post if you don't want an opinion other than your own. Keep it civil. Friendly jokes are fine.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

This thread is destined for the trash.

To all involved, don't post if you don't want an opinion other than your own. Keep it civil. Friendly jokes are fine.
I have no problem with someone having a difference of opinion if it is based on experience instead of speculation. The problem lies when people say X is better then Y because I want it to be and I read it was. What is the point of having a forum to talk about these machines if it is all based on the opinions of people who have never ridden the machines they are talking about? I am not going to go on the Can Am forum and bash the Commander because I own a Honda. I have never owned or ridden in one but I read a lot about them when researching which UTV I should buy. I would never trash a product without having personal experience with that product. It makes no sense.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Originally Posted by mnhntr
I would never trash a product without having personal experience with that product. It makes no sense.

Originally Posted by mnhntr
I will not buy a Polaris as everyone I know who has serious use on them has had issues.
Fair enough. But what constitutes experience?

Old 02-19-2014, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Fair enough. But what constitutes experience?
Big difference in someone saying "I will not buy a Polaris because everyone I know that has one has had bad experiences" and claiming to know specifics that a product is "underpowered and needs a low range" or is "top heavy because I saw a picture of it".
I had a co-worker shred a belt plowing in his Ranger. Another had to sit on the side of the trail with his sportsman and wait for his belt to dry out. Yet another friend had problems with his Sportsman and the belt slipping riding on steep trails. These are REAL things that happened. I am not speculating on what I read or saw in a picture.
Everything I read in this post prior to posting was "what I read or heard". One person said that lack of a diff lock when the machine has a diff lock.
An experience constitutes first hand knowledge.
I do not claim to be an expert on Polaris belts but I know if I have seen with my own eyes or have close friends show me their problems it makes me not want one.

Quick Reply: Honda to replace Big Red with new Pioneer UTV