Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400 vs. 400

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2000, 03:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KevinM, why don't you enlighten us as to why you would suggest the Polaris 4X4 over a 400EX? Power to weight ratio?....no way! Jumping and Handling?...again..no way! Looks of the machine?..not a chance! etc...etc...

Old 05-04-2000, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

Hey what is this machine be used for the scrambler will go places the 400ex wont. but it is heavy. And hate to break it to you you can get them 2 strokes tuned so they will eat 400exs.

Old 05-04-2000, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

You can't use looks as an arguement. The EX doesn't look better than a Scrambler. Also, take into account not everyone jumps high & just rides MX tracks. Where I ride the MX tracks are few & far between. While the Scrambler is heavier some guys actually do have some muscle that they can use. So if you are not built like a girl, don't need to jump alot, like an auto trannys benefits, (great hill climber, mudder, straight line racer & able to tune to your tastes) & love to be able to ride where all other sport quads must turn back (with the exception of the Scrambler 500)get the 400 4X4. I don't know about all that wet belt stuff. I've had mine up to the fenders in water & not had a slipping belt. Also, spend just $325 on the RCR kit and suprise the guy on the 400EX. I remember my brother saying he forgot how fast mine was after I showed him the Scrambler taillight Except in the sand. The lighter weight of the 400EX allowed him to catch me on top end. But here in Ohio on dirt I could get him. The biggest benefit I saw that the 400EX had was jumping. The Scrambler is nowhere close to the EX at jumping. Also, I can never figure out the arguement that 2 strokes are not as easy to ride & reliable as 4 strokes. Anyone who has ever owned a good 2 stroke knows that isn't true at all. Both bikes are great in their own way. It's just what riding style is more important to you. Don't let anyone talk you in the 400EX because they say Polaris guys can't shift. I know I'm probably a better driver than 95% of the users on this board. I choose an auto because I wanted too, not because I had too. One other thing, The Scrambler is a larger quad. So don't get one if you don't have the nuts to handle the big *******
c-ya,

Old 05-04-2000, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

Easy:
4wd will allow you to go places 2wd won't including deep mud and up badly rutted rocky hills.
Ability to shift from 2wd to 4wd so you can throw it around when you want to.
A big cc 2-stroke like the 400 can be modified to make more horsepower than any 4-stroke.
Reverse.
Liquid cooling with fan assist.
Always in the right gear and autos can be tuned to do what you want them to do.

I don't disagree that the 400ex is better in tight woods or jumps better, but he wanted reasons and I gave him mine. The ex is a nice machine and I'm not bashing it. I was in the exact same position as him at one time and you just read why I bought the Scrambler and I haven't regretted it for a minute.

Old 05-05-2000, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

I can try to convince you quadman... how bout the 400ex is the faster and better handling bike! We have both, 00 400ex and 98 Polaris 400, no comparison. The Polaris is hard to handle on the turns and isn't very nimble. Also, even with the macpherson suspension, jumping with the Polaris is rough, with the ex its a pleasure. So... speaking from experience... RIDE RED AND RIDE HARD!
00 Honda 400ex
00 Honda Recon
98 Polaris 400 Sport

Old 05-09-2000, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 500 scrambler 4x4. I just went riding with 2 friends from work. The one guy just got a new 400ex. It is a nice quad. We rode each others for a little while. Mine rides smoother in the rough stuff and I can out jump him. When we drag raced he beat me by about 3 quads. After he rode mine he said it really surprised him. He said he couldn't believe how good the suspension was and after riding his I agree. His rode really rough. If I stayed in two wheel drive they climbed the hills at the old coal dump about the same. But when we hit the muddy trails I ate him alive. Also when I followed him on the tight trails in the woods I was on his butt. I guess it all depends on a persons preference. Both are good machines.
P.S. I just sold my 4 year old sportsman and never had trouble with it. It still had the original belt and it was rode hard.

Old 05-10-2000, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

Some of you who replied to the post need to pay more attention to the question. Quadamaniac is looking at the Polaris 400 2x4, not the 4x4. If money is a concern, the Polaris is about a grand less expensive and a good value for the money. Reliability has not been an issue on my '98 Sport 400.

The biggest question is to your riding style and needs. Yes the ex can jump and handle well, but if you are not an aggressive rider, the Polaris may be more suited to your needs. Also, the Polaris is a great machine for trail rides with a passenger. The suspension loves carrying 2 riders and the 400 power is outstanding, and easy to pump out more with the RCR kit.

You make the call based on your needs.

Old 05-10-2000, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

Some of you who replied to the post need to pay more attention to the question. Quadamaniac is looking at the Polaris 400 2x4, not the 4x4. If money is a concern, the Polaris is about a grand less expensive and a good value for the money. Reliability has not been an issue on my '98 Sport 400.

The biggest question is to your riding style and needs. Yes the ex can jump and handle well, but if you are not an aggressive rider, the Polaris may be more suited to your needs. Also, the Polaris is a great machine for trail rides with a passenger. The suspension loves carrying 2 riders and the 400 power is outstanding, and easy to pump out more with the RCR kit.

You make the call based on your needs.

pairof98s: '98 Banshee, '98 Sport 400

Old 05-11-2000, 11:58 AM
Trailblazer

AIR,
You finally answered my question. Where have I seen the front end suspension of a polaris before? By jove you've got it! The front suspension of a Polaris is identical to one from a 1983 Yugo two-door coupe. That answers a long standing question that I had, Thanks.

Old 05-11-2000, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

To get a 400EX or a 400 Scrambler 2x4 really depends where you are going to ride.
Went riding last weekend with a 400EX, me on my Trail Blazer. Most of the trails were muddy, and rutted. Besides the non-muddy sections I had a lot better ride. He was stuck all the time, and with no reverse it was a pain in the neck. I was stuck almost as much as him, but reverse got me out most times.
The EX is a great achine, but is not really meant for certain riding areas. The Polaris is also a great machine, and not made for certain area.
So overall, don't mud on a EX, and don't MX a Polaris. Just depends were you want to ride most of the time.