Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250R wiring....grrr

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250R wiring....grrr

I have most of the parts for my R now, it's almost done...except it won't run..There is no spark..the harness has been hacked, the stator is questionable...there is not headlight or kill swith or key switch...or AC regulator...no matter what I do I can't get a spark from it...I don't have a test light here either so that makes things just a bit more fun....what can I do to get this piece running ?

PS the harness is a mystery year as well as the stator...I have been looking at my manual's wiring diagrams with no success...I really want this to run before the end of the long weekend...please help me out here..

Old 05-24-2003, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

I am getting really pissed at this thing...I went and got a test light...there is spark going into the CDI from the black/red wire...power coming out from the green wire...(isn't that suppose to be a ground?) when I connect the green wire to the CDI there is no longer any power flowing through it...WTF!!?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]..Then it goes into a big cluster **** of green wires spliced together...one of these goes to the tail light, one is an extra and the other goes into the coil. The othe black/white wire going into the coil has no power to it and none coming out of the CDI...once again...wtf[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]. Were the wires come out of the case from the stator there are two small female end plugs but on the harness where it's suppose to connect there is a big plastic double connector...female end. ....whats a fella to do...??? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Someone must know...can you help me before I go out and light this thing on fire ?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 05-24-2003, 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

Not knowing where your from, I don't how convenient this may be for you. Contact Chaparrel Motorsports in San Bernardino, CA. They have the manual for virtually every quad and m/c. You can go on-line or call them at 909.889.2761. Hang in there. You'll be happy with the results when you're done with the quad.

Old 05-25-2003, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DON'T burn it in passion killer, you will be sorry tomorrow. Your black\white wire is from your kill switches, not your coil, the kill switches make the ignition die by grounding out that black\white pin on your cdi via the green wire (yes it is a ground). So if there is any connection between the green and black\white, assuming you have ground, it disables the ignition. The ignition coil wire should be black\yellow and green, not black white. You really should have a multimeter to test this via resistance as a test light is more for 12VDC battery type set ups, not mag CDI like you have. I just posted a few minutes ago, on troubleshooting an 86 trx350 ignition. Check that out as your ignition works virtually the same way.

Old 05-25-2003, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

I was having a similar problem like you. I finally took the wiring harness apart and found that one of the conecters that is covered with tape had a bad wire. I ended up taking every wire off that didnt make it run, lights and so on. After that I havent ha a problem again

Old 05-25-2003, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

OK I took a pic of my wiring diagram and showed indicated where these is and is not power...hopefully this will help. (it's on my pics page)

I don' have a multimeter on hand but if I can't get this pile to work soon I will buy one. Your right the wire into the coil is black/yellow, idk why i was thinking it was black/white...I have a question though, why would the CDI be putting out power to the green ground wire out of the coil ? ...it shorts itself out one plugged it...cause it's a ground. Am I correct in saying the AC regulator it not needed for starting it, thats just for the lights right?...I just can't figure out why there is not power coming from the black/yellow wire out of the CDI.

I should have just called up ESR and bought a new CR unit...forget this ancient hacked to **** old crusty wiring. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 05-25-2003, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

You're correct about the lighting system. It almost sounds like your black\white wire is grounded, essentially what your shut switches do. If the black\white wire has any even poor connection to a ground somewhere, it diverts the current to the chassis and ground (maybe why it's lighting your test light). It's a much easier path than through the gap of a spark plug. I couldn't blow up your picts for some reason to check out your diagram, nice looking quad tho. I have never had consistent voltage readings to test from the cdi to the coil primary on that type of ignition system. Even one in working condition with a peak voltmeter doesn't produce results you can count on. Don't ask me why. If you had an ohmeter I would say unplug your cdi unit and check for that black\white wire connection to ground (you can buy an acceptable one at radio shack, I've seen them for under 10$). If there is one there's your problem. You could also unplug your kill switch wires but that wouldn't eliminate all the wiring. You could pull the black\white wire out of the cdi connector and plug it back in then check for spark. If you have the right size pick or teeny screwdriver to unlock the pin, you can pull it right out the back of the connector. You could also cut it a ways from the connector and resolder it later.

Old 05-25-2003, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah, if you do disable the cdi's ability to kill the ignition by disconnecting the black\white from the cdi, you won't be able to shut it off by the switches.

Old 05-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

I just checked the pulse generator and there is nothing coming from that either. As soon as radio shack opens I will get an ohmeter and try and fix this mess.

dzzy you've been a great help ... thanks alot.

Old 05-25-2003, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Anytime man. I wouldn't expect the pulse gen. to trigger your light. They only put out 2 - 6 VAC.

Quick Reply: 250R wiring....grrr