Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

'86 fourtrax 350 driveshaft in the way!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '86 fourtrax 350 driveshaft in the F**ckin way!

I need to remove the lower cover off of the motor on the left side to get at the stator to fix a problem I'm having with no spark. But, the driveshaft for the front wheels goes right up alongside the motor and it completley in the way. It looks like I have to take apart half the 4 wheeler to get it off. I figure there has to be an easy to way to get the thing apart. I notice there's a lockin pin around a goofy shaped washer that is near the connection wehre the shaft slides into a bigger shaft near the rear wheel driveshaft from teh transmission. What I really need to know is how to get this shaft out of the way so I can get the cover off the side of the motor. This is really getting me pissed off. If you know how to get it off, please tell me!!!

Old 05-29-2003, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default '86 fourtrax 350 driveshaft in the way!

You need to back off the snap ring on both ends so that you can slide back the ends of the shaft so that it will slide out P.S. you may want to replace the stater clutch while you are in ther unless that is what left you with no spark and check to make sure that if you do replace the starter clutch replace the gears also

Old 05-30-2003, 07:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cluby essentially right but a little misguided. loosen and remove the boot clamp at the front of the cover, remove the two long bolts with 12mm heads. remove the circlip on the rear part of the shaft and slide it forward. slide the collar on the rear of the shaft forward to disengage the back (that is why you need to dislodge the circlip. you may need to catch the "bit of a ridge" on the collar with a chisel or old screwdriver to move it forward. Then slide the whole mess forward, rotate a little and disengage from the front driveshaft. If I remember correctly, you are the broken starter gear guy. Cluby is right about the starter clutch being the root cause of the gear breakage. If you intend to fix the electric start, you will need to replace it and the bearing\gear behind it or your starter gears will break again down the road.

Old 05-30-2003, 02:21 PM
Trailblazer

well there's no way I intend to use the same starter gears. the teeth that are left are so worn down, they would just jam against each other and then more wil break and destroy the new stator that's gonna cost me around $200. I actually figured out how to get that shaft out of the way just yesterday. I managed to get it off the exact way you guys have posted. It's pretty easy to take off when you know how it comes off. Thanks a lot

Old 05-30-2003, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new starter gears will be geared different, there are updated ones that are automatically sent. But you should replace the starter clutch and gear (behind the flywheel) or you are likely to soon break starter gear teeth again, even the new ones. It gets weak and allows too much kick back when you turn the starter over and the engine doesn't start or when you shut the machine off. Evidenced by a loud snap or crack under those conditions.