Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Afew questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 01:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afew questions

A guy I know mentioned to me that four wheelers use a certain type of motor oil. He says normal engine oil for cars isn't good for the motor. is this true or is it a bunch of crap? I also have this little 1983 Suzuki 50cc 3 wheeler, and I was wondering how to adjust the ignition timing on it? It's not running, has tons of spark, has compression, but won't let out a single burp.

Old 06-16-2003, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default Afew questions

Seth,

I don't believe you will ever get a clear answer on motor oil and I'm not going to start the debate. Just use oil and change it after 15-25 hours at the most.

As far as advancing the spark, that prbably has nothing to do with the bike not running. If you have spark and you have compression the only thing missing is GAS. Take the carb off and rebuild it. That should get you back up and running.

Smitty

Old 06-16-2003, 01:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Afew questions

ATV oil is supposed to have special lubercants. (considering the clutch) But you never know what is really in the oil.

Old 06-16-2003, 02:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default Afew questions

Well I've taken off the carb and thoroughly cleaned it out. I have new gas in it and I can't get nothing. I've taken a syringe and sprayed gas straight through the carb and I can't get anything out of it. I even tried quickstart afew times and nothing

Old 06-16-2003, 06:43 PM
Range Rover
Default Afew questions

some atvs can car oil most 4 strokes do

Old 06-16-2003, 11:22 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?
Default Afew questions

Motorcycle oil is better for the clutch, car oil is better for the bearings and cam. But like already stated change it ealy change it often.

Old 06-17-2003, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default Afew questions

Seth,

You have spark Correct? You know the nice big fat blue one.
You have Compression? Did you measure it with a gauge?
You tried Starting fluid? and you still get nothing? no little hickup or anything?
After trying to start it do you smell gas?
Is the plug wet?
Is the carb bowl filling with Gas?
Is the float stuck closed not allowing fas into the carb?

As i recall some of the older carbs the Pilots would get gunked up and not allow gas to flow. If you've taken the carb off and completly taken it apart and soaked it in Carb cleaner.

If that doesn't get gas flowing you may need a new carb.

Smitty

Trending Topics

Old 06-17-2003, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer
Default Afew questions

There's definately spark and lots of it. I have compression but I didn't measure it with a guage since I don't have one. I even took the top off to take a quick look at the cylinder wall and it's in good shape and everything. Tried a bit of starting fluid and have gotten nothing out of it. I know it's getting gas. the plug gets wet with it. I know the gas is flowing into the carb from the tank cuase i've seen the gas fly out of the line. The carb is definately filling with gas. I've taken and cleaned the carb twice, so I'm sure of that. I also took the whole exhaust off the thing because I heard it become clogged up from sitting around or what not.

Old 06-19-2003, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Afew questions

Not very familiar with that one Seth. Is it a two or four stroke, electronic or points ignition? Anyway, sometimes there is no way to check timing with a light, or it's really difficult. Why don't you check your flywheel key, to make sure it isn't sheared? Usually there's a T mark on the flywheel, and a pointer you can inspect through a plug or on the cases. Stick a screwdriver through the spark plug hole and make sure the marks on the flywheel line up when the piston is actually at TDC. If not the flywheel key is sheared. And I know this sounds weird, but one other unusual thing I've seen a couple three times is somebody winding the recoil backwards. Make sure it is spinning the engine the right way.

Old 06-19-2003, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Afew questions

put that little orange button on left handle bar to run

Quick Reply: Afew questions