Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

The quietest pipe??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 12:26 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The quietest pipe??

What would you say is the quietest pipe for the 400ex?? My wife has one and I'm trying to talk her into getting one but she does want one unless it will pass at the Oregon dunes 93dbls to 95dbls. Thanks

Old 06-18-2003, 03:28 AM
Pro Rider

The stock one is probly the quietest and will pass for sure. You could get a disc type, and just run the minimum amount of discs. Most pipes are offer quiet cores, but they do take away from performance. I think it the oregon dunes website that has decibal readings on commom pipes for different atv's, you should check that out.

Old 06-18-2003, 09:26 AM
Range Rover

I have the White Brothers pipe on it was ranked the best in dirtwheels and the quitest. But my neighbers where still not that happy with me . you take the discs out and bring it down to 4 or 6 and it will bring it to stock level sound and performance. I also bought the quit core 2 insert from w/b. With the discs down and the quit core in it is quit and I got my low end jump back. Here is my opion with riding issues the way the are unless she races why bother take the $300 plus you will spend and buy her earings. I like haveing my low end power back with the disc down and a quit core.

Old 06-18-2003, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

I was impressed with the FMF Q. Nice looking unit and although it was almost stock quiet it made the bike "sound" good. Lets face it a stock 400 sounds like a sewing machine.

Old 06-18-2003, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

Hey TRX, did that FMF Q give you any power increase? I have heard they don't but would like to know from someone who has one. Thanks, Shady

Old 06-18-2003, 01:49 PM
Trailblazer

Go with the MBRP. It is very pleasant to the ears, and no repacking is needed. Plus it's fully stainless steel.

Old 06-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Shady,
It wasn't my bike and it also had FMF's something bomb header, high comp piston, K&N and a modded carb. It ran good but to compare it to a stock 400ex well, I haven't been on a stock 400ex since Sept of 98. I don't really remember what it's like.

Old 06-18-2003, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

After hearing the MBRP pipe on a built DS650 (which was very quiet), I would say go with their pipe. I have the yoshi pipe with the T.E.C. endcaps. These endcaps actually do decrease the decibals quite a bit, and you don't lose alot of performance. With the smallest cap in, I'm definitely legal. With the mid-size one, it's probably pretty close. Biggest opening, and I'm just a ticket waiting to happen, but you can change them out in less than a minute just using one allen wrench. So...I keep the small cap in my toolbox, or in my camelback. If they are checking people, I change them out.

Old 06-18-2003, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

NORDY-my wife runs the fmf q- muffler and the power bomb header on her 440 ex and if you run both of these together you will have a very quiet set up that will pass the oregon dunes sound check.we had my wifes checked by the forest service earlier this year and it came in at a very quiet (90 db)which even the forest service was surprised to see.other people will probably tell you that this pipe and header combination will not make much of a difference but on my wifes 440 ex it makes a huge difference in power especially in the midrange where you need it for climbing steep dunes.if i can answer any more questions about the fmf set up let me know.

Old 06-19-2003, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks TRX 440, and also sounds like the MBRP is worth looking into. Would like to pipe the wife's Raptor but she doesn't want headache decibel levels. And Chad400, you win the rubber cookie for being the first one ever in the history of ATV Connection forums to properly spell the word "lose".

Quick Reply: The quietest pipe??