Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

first moto-x ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2000, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi i am 13 and i just began riding about 3 weeks ago...two weeks ago i went to a local moto-x track and i couldnt believe how awsome it was!at first i only stayed in 1st gear then a few riders (dirt bikers) were complaining about me to the owner of the track...so the owner gives me a speech...and so after that i sorta got mad and thought that i sucked...so i went and stopped for about 30 minuttes being upset and all...and then i decided to go try again....and i decided i didnt want to go slow and that i had to get out of 1st gear sometime so i went for it....i got where i could ride the whole track in 3rd and 4th the whole time...at the end i didnt know if i did that good...cause my dad said that my highest jump was only about 4ft off the ground and two banhsees were clearing all the tabletops and then on the supercross like track there were two honda 250r's racing dirtbikers...so i asked them if they would tell me if i was doin good and after three laps they said i was but im not sure if i was i dont know if its comman for a first time rider to jump his first time on a track...cause my friend rides dirtbike and it took him a month to be able to jump as high as i did on my quad....so can any tell me if thats good or not? oh yeah i have a '97 300ex with FmF pipes and megamax 2 silencers... maier plastic...last rebal seat cover...DG skid plates...DuraBlue axle...holeshot rear tires on Douglas Blue label .190 rims....renthal bars...twist throttle.... oh yeah and my dad wants me to get the thumb throttle back on until i get used to the throttle of it...but im already used to it...should i tell him or let him get the thumb back on?cuz i want the twist
oh and is there a grudge between quad riders and dirt bikers?cuz all of the dirtbikers there seemed to hate me but all the quad riders were incouraging me the second time i went...

thanks
d_bikersoffendme

------------------

Old 01-28-2000, 12:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Offended One,
Keep doing what your doing. Everybody progresses at his/her own rate and it sounds like your doing just fine. Good job on getting back out there and gettin some. Every lap you make, you get better and learn your quad and riding preference. To heck with the bikers. Although you may not beat them, it is fun sliding under them in the corners and roostin 'em.

RoostKing...

Old 01-28-2000, 01:30 AM
Range Rover

Don't worry about those jack-asses on their dirt bikes. Ask them if they were as fast as they are right now, the first time they rode ona track. It is a good idea though, to get in a little practice jumping before you head to a track. If you must ride on the track when bikes are on there, stay to one side until you get fast enough to start smoking those jerks around the track. Remember, you can turn faster on the inside, so just pass them once or twice, and they'll quit bugging you. Just don't get frustrated and quit.

Old 01-28-2000, 06:59 AM
Trailblazer

Just remember it's better for you to land on a dirt bike than have a dirt bike land on you!

Old 01-28-2000, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider

Good job on not quiting. But don't let anyone try & talk you or pressure you into anything you are not ready for.
As for as the throttles it's all an opinion. Me, I like Thumb on a quad.
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 01-28-2000, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer

The only good reason the DBers should have to complain about you might be your track etiquette. If you are going slow you should observe a line that allows the other riders to pass you easily when they get to you.

I know at the track I go to during practice day you will have people riding at ever skill level and every type of machine possible, 250 MXers, minis, even the occasional Artic Cat Quad, but everybody tries to let the fast guys by.

Make sure if you got somebody right on you and they are revving their motor let em by. Also be careful to follow a straight line over jumps so that if somebody behind you wants to double or jump farther than you they can without risking hitting you.

I think you did fine. Whenever you do your best and improve you have succeeded. There is nothing wrong with not being the fastest guy on the track. Just make sure you are courteous. As for the guys being mean to you. I cant comment for sure, but I never really have any problems getting along with everybody at the track. Make sure you are friendly dont burn bridges. At your current level you are gonna want all the help you can get. So make sure to have fun and listen to what people tell you no matter what they ride, but of course learn for yourself whether what they are telling you works for you.

Adam Smith
99 400EX