Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Winch Mounting on Rancher

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2000, 02:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to find the best location for the solenoid and the control switch when I mount my Warn 2000. What is everyone's experience? Where is yours mounted?

Thanks

Old 05-16-2000, 07:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were confident of the integrity of my wiring insulation, no shorting potential from abrasion or binding anywhere, I might consider mounting the solenoid in its original box, somewhere in the storeroom. I'd wire the Warn rotary switch directly to the battery; forget about the solenoid, assuming the remote risk for possible fire or damage from a short-circuit.

I'd mount the switch as close to my left hand when riding as possible. Before I obtained my Superwinch handlebar-mounted rocker switch (not rated for the Warn 2000's current), I mounted the predecessor rotary switch on the left handlebar also, using a "dash mount adapter," fastening it with a couple of sheet metal screws to the handlebars. Warn probably catalogs an adapter suitable for this purpose.

I think you want the switch conveniently in reach of your left hand so you can activate your winch when you're in the saddle, using the handlebars and the throttle to help get you unstuck. I'm sure you can find a good spot, unless you believe like some, drilling holes in ATV plastic is a mortal sin. Good luck!

Tree Farmer

Old 05-16-2000, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

While I respect TreeFarmers advice and position, having used his knowledge a lot prior to purchasing and installing myown winch, I found that on the Rancher, especially the ES Handlebar room comes at a premium.

My solution was to mount the switch directly under the dash, in fact, there are availible screws and holes already present. This allows for a sanitary switch position. The wires remain conceiled and out of the way. And I've found now undo stress in activating the switch from this position.

Feel free to go check out my pics on my yahoo briefcase.

Good riding and good luck.

Old 05-16-2000, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hondahunter's choice of winch control switch mounting position has the additional advantage; no flexing of the wiring from handlebar turning. The "cable wrap" required for handlebar switch mounting can cause insulation fraying (been there, done that!), loosen connections, even possibly part wiring from metal fatigue. These factors should be considered and checked often, if a handlebar mount is chosen.

Hondahunter's installation looks good, both mechanically and electrically.

Tree Farmer

Old 05-18-2000, 01:54 AM
Trailblazer

A good location for the solenoid switch is to mount it on the back side of the airbox, high and to the side of the rear shock mount. I mounted mine on the side away from the exhaust pipe to avoid potential heat damage. As for the rotary control switch, what do you think of mounting it on the horizontal surface of the left front fender, right behind the rack? This puts it within easy reach and below the plane of the rack.